Sunday, September 26, 2010

Batty Lamp Makeover


This is a little occasional lamp from Better Homes and Gardens, it is sold at Walmart.  I have used it in my home for over a year and I wanted to give it a makeover for Halloween.  I originally saw this in The Best of Martha Stewart Living Halloween.  

Supplies:
sheet of black construction paper
white lamp shade
pen that will write on black paper
scissors
scotch tape

First I copied a bat template out of the above Martha Stewart publication.  I didn't buy the book I checked it out of  our local library.  Take the template and trace the bats onto the construction paper with a light colored pen.  
I think I made around 12 bats.  I just used regular scotch tape and wrapped it around into a roll; where it sticks to itself, and placed it on the back side of the bat and placed it randomly on the inside of the shade.  I found the white shade at the thrift store for $2.

The results were spooktactular!  I was really pleased with how well the bats show up.  Any creepy template can be used.  This would be a great project for your kids.  Templates can be found here.  I couldn't find the exact template I used in the book for a download on Martha's site, but Matthew Mead had a whole page of templates and a very similar bat is the last link on the bottom of this page.
Happy creating!!  Halloween is a fun time let your imagination grow.  Fly over to these sites and see what other makeovers are going on.
I will link this to:
Metamorphosis Monday at Between Naps on the Porch
Today's Thrifty Treasures  at Southern Hospitality
Just Something I Whipped Up at The Girl Creative
Make It for Monday at Cottage Instincts
Making the World Cuter at Making the World Cuter
Get Your Craft On at Today's Creative Blog
Toot Your Own Horn Tuesday at Silly Little Sparrow
Nifty Thrifty Tuesday at Coastal Charm
Trash to Treasure Tuesdays  at Sassy Sites!
Whatever Goes Wednesday at Someday Crafts
Thrifty Thursday at Tales from Bloggeritaville
Transformation Thursday at The Shabby Chic Cottage

27 comments:

La said...

Great idea. It looks frighteningly spooktacular! La

the cape on the corner said...

that looks great!

courtneyrevels said...

Very neat idea! I might have to try this! Thanks for sharing! (:

marty (A Stroll Thru Life) said...

Oh how cute. I would have never thought of that. Looks amazing. Hugs, Marty

rosarod said...

HELLO, I loved your new project! THOSE THAT REALLY FRIGHTENED BATS! FANTASTIC FOR THIS SEASON, THANKS FOR SHARING YOUR GREAT TALENT! ROSE MARIE

Annie Joy said...

I'm definitely going to try this one -- just the right "batty" touch! Thanks!

Sherry @ No Minimalist Here said...

What a cute idea for halloween! Love it.

Anita @ GoingALittleCoastal said...

This is so crazy cute! They really show up great too. Maybe some leaves for fall too.

Sarah said...

What a cute, clever idea. Great job! ~ Sarah

La Vie Quotidienne said...

Love it...so cleaver and very "do-able". With a big impact.

gabraj said...

Ciekawy pomysł. Super efekt. Pozdrawiam Gabriela

Willow said...

What a clever idea I love it.

Willow

Lori said...

Very great idea! looks so fun for Halloween. I have to start thinking scary thoughts. October around the corner.

Happier Than a Pig in Mud said...

What a fun idea, I love it!

Ann Nichols said...

How fun!! I will give it a try!

I noticed in your profile that you like history...well, I do too. In fact I have a history blog about St. Nicholas and Christmas! Please visit me there and if you like it follow along! I'd love to have you!
Ann

Aunt Amelia's Attic said...

Cute. Thank you much.

Angie @ The Country Chic Cottage said...

Great idea!! I love it!!

Linda@Coastal Charm said...

Such a super duper cute idea...thanks for sharing it at my NIFTY THRIFTY TUESDAYS party!

Blessings,
Linda

Sue (Someone's Mom) said...

This is a cute idea and not that hard to do. Love it! I also like your header!

Merrie said...

What a fun look, and so simple to do. Great idea!

Leah said...

oooo, this looks like an idea I can handle! love Halloween!!

BigBearswife said...

that looks great!!!!!! I love the bats!

Sassy Sites! said...

Super cute! I found you at the Today's Creative Blog hop! Come by and visit me at Sassy Sites! We have a giveaway going on AND a header contest. Come by and check it out. xoxo

Marni @ Sassy Sites!

Jane said...

This is a great idea! Can't wait to try it. Thanks for sharing! Oh, and I love your new header photo! Very seasonal.

Jessica said...

Good Morning! Visiting you from the blog hops.

I invite you to visit either or both of my blogs and follow them.

Jessicas Lil Corner: Family Blog- http://jessicaslilcorner.blogspot.com

So Stylilized-FREE Custom Blog Designs- http://sostylilized.blogspot.com

Diann said...

This is so cute!

Nancy Reinke said...

Very cute, Sherry. ~ Nancy

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails