Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Wordsworth White Wednesday

I used to go to a lot of flea markets and shop for antiques.  I got married, moved away, had children, and quit doing it.  Why?  Oh, there are reasons; no good flea markets within 100 miles, three boys in tow, etc.  But, I never got rid of my treasures.  And, soon I hope to put some antique shopping back in my schedule.  Blogging has gotten me back in touch with the person I was before all the obligations of family came along.  But, anyway here is one of my treasures.  I love old books.  

This is a copy of Wordsworth for the Young c. 1891.  It is a textbook made for school children to study Wordsworth's poetry.  William Wordsworth was a major English poet who helped launch the Romantic Era during the second half of the 18th century.  The Romantic Movement validated strong emotion as an authentic source of the aesthetic experience, placing a new emphasis on emotions such as horror and awe.  

One of the poems in the book that was so striking to me is We Are Seven.   This is a very strong and powerful poem in which Wordsworth is the narrator who enters into a conversation with a little child in a churchyard.  He asks the child how many siblings she has and she states "we are seven."  She continues on to describe where all of her brothers and sisters are and she states two lay in the churchyard (dead and buried).  So, the narrator states that she and her siblings "are five" and the little child repeatedly says no "we are seven."  This is such striking subject matter for children's poetry, but a noted poem for Wordsworth and a perfect example of romanticism. 



I love old books with this type of illustrations.  Most of the rest of the poetry is not as sad as We Are Seven.




Such a time capsule of a different era and so interesting to thumb through. 
I will join Kathleen at Faded Charm for White Wednesday.
Please go over and enjoy all the talent exhibited on White Wednesday.

28 comments:

It's Just Dottie said...

That book is so lovely. I love his poem The Children's Hour. I used to teach it to my fourth graders,
Dottie

Jan LaFollette said...

Old books are so beautiful.....look at the original artwork....AMAZING! Not to mention the content. True treasures.

Happy To Be/ Gl♥ria said...

Hope you get back to antique collecting my friend...It always lifts me up when I do ha ha!! My favorite pass time in life is the hunt for the one thing I don't have yet...I'm going to a antique store in another state at the end of the month and can't wait to see what awaits me...Hope your having a GREAT day my friend...Hugs and smiles Gl♥ria

Sue (Someone's Mom) said...

I know that blogging has reminded me of things I used to love or used to do as well. I think we get too comfortable (or lazy) and I know that I am constantly inspired by the blogs of others.

Your book is a treasure, I love old children's books.

Tete said...

Just wonderful- I love old books. They are the true time amchine into the past...
Hugs- Tete

Sandi said...

I LOVE old books too and I love your first photo especially! Happy WW!
Blessings~

Sandi said...

I am going to try this again...I LOVE old books too! I especially love your first photo. Happy WW!
Blessings~

Cabin and Cottage said...

This is a beautiful old book. The illustrations are wonderful! Jacqueline

rose marie said...

VISIT YOUR BLOG and join has been inspired, for us women the decoration is an emotional issue [and I think even spiritual. Your blog is beautiful, from the various dishes, etc colors. inspiring, beautiful white Wednesday. Rose Marie

Ann said...

A lovely book...thank you for sharing a few pages of it with us all.
I have to agree with you, blogging has also put me back in touch with whom I used to be before family obligations.:) I too have 3 sons and we all know how much boys like to shop!!
Fondly,
Ann
@
The Tattered Tassel

Raspberries and Rose Petals said...

What a great book! A treasure!

Happy WW!
Lori

My Shabby Roses said...

I love books like that and have collected quite a few myself. They have wonderful pictures don't they!

32˙North said...

I love the old illustrations, too. The old primers are especially great. Thanks for sharing your beautiful collection!

Vintagesouthernlife said...

What a great book!

imaginationlane said...

How lovely! I have many antique books myself..nothing else feels or smells quite so nice as an old book, and when said book is a volume of Wordsworth poetry, the combination is irresistable!

Is o enjoyed this post...

Lynette

Sailing Simply said...

Old books are so cool! I don't collect them but have inherited a few. I love to use them for decorating!

parTea lady said...

What a wonderful old book and the illustrations really add to the pleasure of the poetry.

Blue Ridge Altered Art said...

Beautiful book. The graphics are incredible. Books like that cannot be duplicated today. It was a different era and different mindset. Thanks or sharing with us, Sherry

Miss Gracie's House said...

Oh, I love it! Such a sweet but sad little poem but so real to the time...I heart it.
Seasons will change and you will get to junkin' again...once it's in the blood....it's all over!
Happy WW!
Rene

A Cottage Muse said...

Oh my, how wonderful!

Rebecca said...

Love all the illustrations in the books-wonderful!

@nemonen said...

Wordsworth = romantic I have read some poems of this author and I love him. Very suitable theme for the week. I wouldn´t mind to own this book. Lovely and beautiful.

Debbie~ said...

Beautiful book, I looove the illustrations! I hope you can get back into going on the hunt for more treasures soon! Thanks for sharing! Debbie @ Cottage Hann~Me~Downs

~~Carol~~ said...

What a wonderful old book! The illustrations are so pretty, and the prose is just charming! Yes, definitely get back to antiquing. It's so much fun!
Happy WW!
Carol

Tete said...

Sherry, Thanks for your visit!
http://ult-tex.net/counts/tlapd/index.cgi
There's your link for the International Pirate Day countdown banner!
Pirates rule! My birthday is not until the 17th- but thanks for the wishes and happy birthday to you!
My mother had the 12 angels before I was born, so I got them when she passed. I have always loved them!
Hugs- Tete

Barbara Jean said...

Beautiful book
blessings

barbara jean

Kathy said...

Wordsworth has some fantastic poetry! I too love to collect old books - my husband and I used to go to flea markets and estate sales -now there aren't that many nearby.
Thanks again for sharing and bringing great memories.
Kathy

Denise Marie said...

gorgeous post!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails