Monday, August 23, 2010

Tasha Tudor

I have a fondness for children's books.  Especially certain illustrators of children's books.  No one ever captured my heart quite as much as Tasha Tudor.  Tasha Tudor illustrated and authored almost 100 children's books.  Although born in 1915 her favorite time period was about 1830.  She lived much of her life as if she were in that time. Victoria magazine did several features on Tasha.  I have some of those features here.  Photography by Toshi Otsuki in both features.

Photographed at her Vermont home.  Tasha Tudor presides over a peaceable kingdom that no storybook can surpass.

Tasha's son Seth built her house by hand with hand tools in the 1970's.  Tasha grew all of the gardens on the property including fruits, vegetables, and herbs.

 In this feature Victoria visited Tasha at Advent. Tasha dressed in clothes from her favorite time period.

Her home also furnished from the 1830's, a true testament that your home should surround you with things you love.

Tasha working on one of her beloved illustrations.  

Tasha was well know for afternoon tea.  Often having the children and their dolls attend.

I have a few of Tasha's book.  My favorites are the ones she wrote describing the family traditions she grew up with and shared with her children.

This is my absolute favorite book she wrote.

She starts with a little grandchild at her feet wanting to know what it was like when her mother was a little girl.  

Tasha describes and illustrates the story by each month.  This was New Year's and they made a big bonfire and danced around it.  Tasha did her illustrations in watercolor and was well know for the elaborate little seasonal borders she drew around each picture.

In February they had Sparrow Post.  I loved having "post office" in class as a child around Valentine's Day.

At Easter Tasha's family made an Easter egg tree.

In August they floated their Mother's birthday cake down the river.
In October Tasha's family always carved pumpkins.

In November they roasted the turkey by the fire.  Tasha continued to cook this way or on a wood stove all of her life.

In the winter months they made a year's supply of candles.

And, on Christmas Eve her family would travel into the woods of their home and visit a creche that had been set up to celebrate the birth of Jesus.
This book was always my favorite because of the traditions Tasha and her family so lovingly celebrated that made all their times together so special.  Do you or your family have any seasonal traditions?  Do you still celebrate them?  

I have had a few teas with my children, so in Tasha style today I set up a little one's tea with my Royal Doulton Bunnykins and Royal Albert's The World of Beatrix Potter china.  I'm serving iced animal cookies with a little more milk than tea in the smallest cup.
August 28th is Tasha Tudor's birthday.  So, in celebration of all she accomplished I wanted to feature her this week.  Storybook Woods is featuring a Tasha Tudor day on August 28th.  Go and visit there to see more post honoring Tasha. 
Just learned that Tasha's family has a blog here is the site:
I will also link to:
A Return to Loveliness at A Delightsome Life
Tea Party Tuesday at Lady Katherine Tea Parlor
Tea Cup Tuesday at Martha's Favorites
Tea Party Tuesday  at The Rose Chintz Cottage
Tea Cup Tuesday at Artful Affrimations
Tea Pot and Tea Things Tuesday at A Breath of Fresh Air
Tuesday Tea for Two The Plumed Pen
Tea Pot and Tea Things Tuesday at The Silken Purse
Table Top Tuesday at A Stroll Thru Life


Gail @ Faithfulness Farm said...

I am a HUGE TT fan! I LOVE her books and always envied her way of life and saddened by her death. I even keep a corgi dog because of her beautiful illustrations :)


Nelly said...

Hi! I stumbled across your blog just to adore your Halloween banner, but then couldn't stop reading your next post:)Tasha Tudor looked like a beautiful soul. The way she lived was amazing! If I could I would follow her ways of life...Any who just wanted to say you have a Lovely blog;)

Red Couch Recipes said...

I love children's books too and I love Tasha Tudor books...the time honored traditions she shared with us and the lovely illustrations bring me back to a lovely world and life! Thanks for this beautiful post on Tasha. Joni

marty (A Stroll Thru Life) said...

What wonderful books and pictures. The illustrations are all just gorgeous. Wouldn't you love some of these framed. So pretty. Your tea is perfect. What an inviting teascape and it just make you want to stop and enjoy. Thanks so much for linking to TTT. Hugs, Marty

Debbie said...

What a beautiful collection of childrens books...certainly a lovely keepsake to have for generations to come.

Tasha said...

Oh how I love Tasha Tudor also. She is actually my name sake. I don't believe many people can say that. I have almost everyone of her books and my mother has those I do not (and I am sure they will be mine one day also). I just loved this post. She is a beautiful author and an even more amazing illustrator. I too love that she loved her life in the lifestyle she loved most. No wonder her books showed this.

Sandi@ Rose Chintz Cottage said...

Hello Sherry,
What a lovely, lovely post honouring this creative lady! I love all the illustrations and the time you took to post this today is much appreciated! I love your Beatrix Potter tea too; very sweet! Thank you, my sweet friend, for sharing.


Mrs. B said...

I stumbled across your blog and was delighted to see your post on Tasha Tudor. I'm a retired reading teacher and children's librarian and had the good fortune of meeting Tasha personally. One of my college professors was a personal friend of hers. I have an autographed copy of A Time to Keep. I look forward to sharing her beautiful stories and artwork with my grandchildren.

Kim @ Savvy Southern Style said...

What great info on her. I didn't think I even knew who she was until I saw some of the books. I recognized a couple of them.

It's Just Dottie said...

Oh!Sherry your Tasha Tudor post is just lovely. I enjoyed it so much. I also am going to have a tea , Tasha Tudor was so special and I think you did a very good job of showing everyone why.

paperbutterfly said...

What a wonderful way to celebrate Tasha Tudor's birthday and her talents. A wonderful legacy.
Thank you for reminding me of her work. It has been too long.
Blessings, Pam

xinex said...

I have to admit I did not know her until I read your post. How fascinating! I love the pictures and your tea is beautiful!...Christine

Cabin and Cottage said...

Wow you are are a fan! I had no idea of the extent of her work. Lovely post about her! Jacqueline

Yellow Rose Arbor said...

What a beautiful tribute to Tasha Tudor! I really enjoyed it!


Donna@Conghaile Cottage said...

This is "beautiful", and YES I believe all of us would share your Love for Tasha Tudor... And I also believe we all share your love for children's books too...Thank you SO much for touching us all... Hugs, Donna

Martha's Favorites said...

Hi Sherri: What wonderful books you own. I have only 2 Tasha Tudor books, I wish I had more. Your tea cup an tea pot is so beautiful. It looks so classic. Have a wonderful week. Blessings, Martha

Anita said...

I do not have any Tasha Tudor books, but I will be looking for some. My girls LOVE reading, and I'm not sure why we don't have any. Beautiful post!!!

KathyB. said...

I love Tasha Tudor books and have quite a few of them! Your tea looks so perfectly Tasha! I love this post, thank-you!

Garden Antqs Vintage said...

I just adore Tasha, she's always been such an inspiration to me. So much that I actually got a corgi dog just because I saw them in her books. Sadly, I know longer have her but one day hope to get another one. I have all the Victoria issues that featured her and used to love to watch the Christmas specials they would do on her place. I'll check out the website and maybe even do a post as well on the 28th. Great post, T

Laura's Rose Garden said...

Hi Sherry,
You have a truly lovely blog here. All of your pics are beautiful. I am a fan of Tasha Tudor as well, and treasure the articles in the Victoria magazines. You tea set is darling!! Just precious!!! Thanks so much for sharing.
Warm hugs, Laura

Snap said...

Wonderful post. Victoria always did wonderful articles on Tudor. Adorable tea set with another favorite -- Potter! Loved this post. Happy Tea Day!

Terri said...

Beautiful post about Tasha. I adore her as well.
Your little tea is so precious. I adore Beatrix Potter too. What amazing women!
Thank you so much for sharing all this with us today.

Sue (Someone's Mom) said...

How eccentric. Don't you wonder why anyone would want to wear those clothes? The children's book pages are just wonderful. She sounds like a very interesting lady.

Beth said...

Sherry, This is a lovely post. I really liked seeing the photos from Victoria, as well as Tasha's illustrations. I noticed almost always a beloved Corgi in the picture! What a talented artist and gardener!
Blessings, Beth

Princesa Nadie said...

I have enjoyed as a child reading your post about Tasha Tudor...I did'nt know her and I'm really glad knowing about her now.
I love chilren's books too and I collect lots of them,illustrations are for me something very important in a book so I like books with pretty illustrations and I enjoy watching them ,dreaming with them...
Meeting you has been a great pleasure,thank you for your tea in that lovely cups

Kathy said...

I adore Tasha Tudor! I loved her simplicity in life - living the 19th century life - I loved seeing her barefoot with her beloved animals and flowers. Her talent was special!
Tasha was special! I love that Victoria celebrated her more than once and the many lovely books she made and that were made about her!
Just love this post!
Thanks again for joining me!

Storybook Woods said...

Oh thank you for helping to get the word out. Please come by my blog on TT day, Tasha's family is having a give-away. Clarice

shirley said...

My sister and I are very much big fan's of Tasha. We were 5 minutes away from meeting her at a book signing. We were so sorry to have missed her. We did get to meet Tovah Martin who signed my Tasha book. Do you have her two video's..Take Joy and Take Peace? Just so awesome..I paid 100.00 for Take Joy at an auction on WGBH! Tasha we miss you!

fitty's pinky rose cottage said...

this is my fave post for the day! am a big fan of Tasha too!.. love all her books.. and her life is just simple and easy..

Lady Katherine said...

I enjoyed this post so much! I love Tasha's fireplace Tea! Your Tea with your little ones is wonderful to go along with Tasha! Thank you for sharing all the wonderful articles on Tasha Tudor and your Tea on Tea Time Tuesday!

Susan said...

Oh, this is such a lovely post in memory of Tasha. I really loved looking through the photos and reading your words. I have the Victoria Magazines with Tasha in them as well. They're my favorite.

What a beautiful post and blog.

I'm celebrating Tasha Tudor Day as well and I do hope you'll come for a visit.

Happy TT Day,

Aunt Amelia's Attic said...

I came here, because of Dear Clarice's lovely Celebration of Tasha Tudor day. Thank you for sharing this lovely post of yours.

Gentle hugs...
Happy Tasha Tudor Day

Shirl said...

Hello, I found my way to Tasha Tudor posts and I'm just thrilled. I first found Tasha Tudor in the 70's when I bought my first book for my daughter. We treasured every new book that came out and still do. Thank you so much for stiring the memories. I thought Tasha Tudor was gone forever but she still lives on thanks to people like you.
I wish I knew about this event, I would have joined in! Maybe next year.
Blessings, Shirl
Shirls Rose Cottage

Gumbo Lily said...

What a lovely tribute to an amazing woman. Loved the animal cracker tea. Sweet!


Faerie Moon Creations said...

Lovely Tasha Tudor post! Hope you enjoyed the day immensely. :) I thank you so much for coming to visit with me. Weren't Gunne Sax dresses the best? They need to make a comeback!!! :) Theresa


Related Posts with Thumbnails