Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Tabletop Zen

I always want to say, "and now for something completely different." (old Monty Python fan here)  This table is very different.  I am doing my best to copy Asian style in the garden tonight.  I have never been to Asia, although, I would love to go, but using my imagination this is what I came up with.  In a word simplicity captures it.  The beauty is in nature.  Crisp, clean white linen tablecloth, and napkin. Very little on the table.  

My centerpiece is very simple.  Only gravel to hold and anchor the candle and  the hurricane shade to keep it from blowing out.
Zen, as defined by the Urban Dictionary, is a total state of focus with mind and body.  A zen garden is created by taking gravel and raking it into patterns.  Here is a picture of one.

Image from
This is a famous zen garden at a temple in Soami.  It is 15 stones in a small white bed of gravel.  This is called the "garden of emptiness."  The people here are meditating.

The china dinner plate, plain, simple, and white.  The salad plate only adorned with a blush of color and a spring blossoming tree.   
Dinner plate is Royal Worcester pattern Classic Platinum.
Salad Plate is Royal Stafford.

A fan because it is so hot.  

The goblets have a swirl that mimics water.  A plainer goblet with no pattern might have been a better choice.

The lanterns glowing in the crabapple tree.

There are so many ways to adorn you tabletop. Escaping to another culture was a fun way for me to create a table tonight.  Thanks for joining me.
I will join:
Centerpiece Wednesday at the Style Sisters
Tablescape Thursday at Between Naps on the Porch
Show and Tell Friday at My Romantic Home
My Favorite Things at Bargain Hunting and Chatting with Laurie
Vignette Friday at Color Outside the Lines


Debbie said...

First, let me get the giggle out from your comment about the fan... because it's hot. That was funny.

All giggles aside, the table achieved a sense of serenity which I think made it so lovely. It was pretty and quiet, if that makes sense. I actually liked the watery looking stemware. It went with the feel of the whole thing perfectly.

Great idea, and such a pretty table!

Ellen said...

I love the simple, yet different look.. How do you keep coming up with new ideas? Love it! Very refreshing.


Fatima -Scrapart said...

Hi, Yes, simple and BEAUTIFUL!!!!!The dishes are gorgeous,and the lanterns give the charm. LOVELY! Hugs,Fatima-Scrapart.

nannykim said...

I love this--I love the simplicity---gives one a pure clean feeling! Beautiful lanterns too!

Happier Than a Pig in Mud said...

Simple but beautiful! I love the soft pink of the plates!

Sherry said...

You guys can be so wonderful and supportive commenting. Thank you very much for that! Where do I get all my ideas? I have an imagination that works in overdrive. A lot like Ann with an E. (Anne of Green Gables)

Through My Red Door said...

Very serene and the lanterns are a great touch!

Katy Noelle said...

This is so beautiful and soothing and refreshing. I love the glow of the lanterns. Great minds ~ there are so many of them in blogland thinking alike! I was just going to dig out my chinese lanterns, too.

About your comment about, "and, now, for something completely different." One time, our youth group was putting on a production of "Godspell" (small but talented youth group). They, being MP fans stuck this line in there. It was delivered subtly and impeccably. Now, you never know where it will turn up - it's even been in a Christmas Vespers service! It was the title of a post that I wrote back in February (I think) and it WAS COMPLETELY different! =]

I laughed so much at your comment in the sunny spot. It, also, makes me wipe a little heart tear. Your last one off to kindergarten (his comment is soooo cute!) and my first one starting Jr. High. I feel like it's all going to go by in woosh. Well, every part of life is good, right?!

I'm off to go read more (after I order pizza- yes! I just said that!)

Love, Katy Noelle

Blondie's Journal said...

Very pretty! The lanterns are the crowning touch!


Mid-Atlantic Martha said...

Oh how pretty -- love those salad plates. This really creates a Zen mood. And your lanterns are perfect -- really made me smile!

All The Pretty Dishes said...

I think you did a great job--very zen like!

Tricia@The Dull and the Dutiful said...

Oh, those lanterns add such a lovely, magical touch! I love the elegant simplicity of your table, and using gravel to anchor the candle was an inspired idea!

Marlis said...

Your salad plates are delightful. It was very serene and quiet. Love that!

xinex said...

You did really well. You captured the Asian feel. I know cause I am originally from Asia. This looks so relaxing....Christine

Entertaining Women said...

Okay, keeping it simple....this is simply lovely. The tablescape is beautiful, and the lanterns are magical. Thank you for sharing your charming design. Cherry Kay

Donna@Conghaile Cottage said...

"Love this and it's OH SO PEACEFUL"... I Really want a set of those lanterns, they are SO wonderful... Thank you for ending my day with such a tranquil setting!

Cabin and Cottage said...

I would love sitting down to this table! The glasses are perfect. But the lanterns are enchanting! They photographed so well and add so much to the scene. Really lovely! Jacqueline

Yvonne @ StoneGable said...

This IS a very serene table so... zen! The cherry blossom theme going on in the dishes and those fabulous chinese lanterns set a calm oriental feel.And a very thoughtful gesture to put pretty fans at each place setting... again a big element that promotes your calm theme! Beautifully done!!! Your photography capturing it all is perfection.

Style Sisters said...

How beautiful! I love the hurricane filled with rocks, I love the paper lanterns! Really really pretty. Thank you for linking up to Centerpiece Wednesdays!
Karin :)

Mimi said...

Pretty apple blossom plates.

Annie Joy said...

I love the beautiful photographs and ideas and am adding myself as a follower of your blog. Thanks for visiting mine during the rooster party! Annie

Sarah said...

Serenity! You definitely have a feeling of zen with this table. Lovely! ~ Sarah

Sue (Someone's Mom) said...

This was clever and really is a peaceful table. I love your lanterns. The china is perfect for the feeling you wanted to capture. Very unique.

Atelier de Charo said...

Simple and beautiful, pretty plates!!!

Patti said...

So welcoming! Love the lanterns

Sue said...

So simple and serene. Like the shots of the lanterns.

PAT said...

Simple, elegant, beautiful!

Dining Delight said...

Those plates are perfect for the theme you chose and your 'scape does have a real "Zen" feel to it. Love the lanterns!


Requi@Tablescaping Escapades said...

What a peaceful zen tablescape. I could just sit at it and be one with natare. Its nice how those pretty salad plates match the lanterns.

Tablescaping Escapades is having its first give-a-way. Please stop by and check it out.

All the Best,


laurie @ bargain hunting said...

Sherry, this is so pretty. You have definitely achieved a simple beauty. I'd love to be able to create a table like this. Something in me just keeps telling me to add something else and keep adding until there is no room for food on the table! Love your Asian-looking lanterns. You haven't just created a tablescape-you've created a mood, and it's wonderful. So glad you linked this to Favorite Things Sat. Have a good weekend. laurie


Related Posts with Thumbnails