Sunday, August 1, 2010

Pressed Flowers

With the flowers in full bloom, here is an easy before and after you can do to make an accessory for your home.  

Take a bloom or leaf from your plant of choice and place it onto clean white paper in a heavy book.  Place the clean white paper on both sides of it.

With the daisy I choose the book doesn't shut flat.  That's okay just press it out as flat as you can get it.

Stack more heavy books on top of your pressed flower book and wait a couple of weeks.
Check the flower or leaf in two weeks and make sure it appears completely dried out.  When it is you can then frame it.  If it could use more drying time just give it another week and check it.  Drying time will vary by the plant you choose.

Here are three plants I have pressed for my home.  The fall leaf on the left was from last year.  The color is still really good on the leaf.  The fern has faded a bit.  The crocus on the right was in bloom when my last son was born and I picked it and saved it as a keepsake of that sunny winter day.  To apply the plant to the background I just used the tiniest drop of school glue.  It doesn't discolor the plant and it holds it in place.  I am seeing a lot of pressed flowers in the magazines.  It is really simple to do and the perfect project for this time of year.
I will join:
Susan for Metamorphosis Monday at her site Between Naps on the Porch.
Sarah for Before and After Party at her site Thrifty Decor Chick.
Just Something I Whipped Up at The Girl Creative.
Making the World Cuter at Making the World Cuter.

23 comments:

marty (A Stroll Thru Life) said...

Great tutorial and what beautiful pictures you have made. Hugs, Marty

Amy Kinser said...

Thanks for sharing! Very pretty.

Sue (Someone's Mom) said...

I haven't pressed flowers since I saved corsages from school dances many moons ago. I love the crocus...I think I'm going to hit up my yard tomorrow!

Petie said...

Love these. I really like the background papers you used in the frames. Gives them a vintage look.

Bella said...

Hi Sherry, I love pressed flowers, a truly romantic craft:-) I like the way you have used yours with the wrinting background... So Pretty:-)
Bella

Chandy said...

Wow! I will so do the fern one since I'm creating a British Colonial/Tropical home! Thank you for sharing this! Great post!

What a great time to visit a new blog!

Jan @ bobbypins boardwalk said...

This is a wonderful idea. I really love how they turned out. I think I might give them a try, and just hope that mine turn out as beautiful as yours. I've signed up to follow you blog and would love for you to visit my place, and if so inspired, please do the same. I'm also having a wonderful giveaway -- a paint sprayer. I have one just like the one being given away and it's fabulous. I look forward to trying this project and I will let you know how it turns out!

Jennifer said...

What a lovely keepsake from a special day!

Happier Than a Pig in Mud said...

I haven't done this in ages! They look very pretty framed!

Rebekah Smith said...

lovely!:-)

wonderful choice of papers:-)

and the crocus and the reason for saving it are just precious!:-)

thanks for letting us see:-)

rebekah:-)

A Hopeful Heart said...

Thank you for the tutorial. I will definitely be trying this.

Vanessa said...

These are so cute! What a great idea!

Sarah @ Hennessey House said...

what a spectacular idea! this turned out so wonderful :)

Ann @ makethebestofthings said...

Love this! I used to press flowers back in high school from special occasions, why don't I do it now? The combination of the pressed flowers/fern and the scripty paper is inspired. Very clever!

Linda said...

What a great idea...I used to press flowers when I was a girl in between my matress. It would be a good remembrence of flowers the boys would bring me. I live the ones you have framed...I am going to have to try that again!!

niartist said...

BEAUTIFUL!!!! I have some old ones that I bought on ebay, but I've been thinking of doing the colorful leaves of WNY in fall this fall for my foyer. I have a great idea I pulled from a magazine, but I didn't know how to do it - now you've showed me how! :) THANK YOU!

lettie said...

They're lovely! You've created real works of art and now I'm inspired. Thanks!

Melissa said...

Why is it the obvious escapes me? The background paper really makes these...

Kimberly said...

I really like the fall leaf and the background paper. The sentiment behind the crocus is lovely - a unique memento for that day.

C.R.A.F.T. said...

so pretty ! come on over and link up to MMM :)

Erin said...

I absolutely LOVE these!! I never would have thought to put the leaves over paper!! That makes all the difference.

decor4poor@blogspot.com said...

I am so impressed! I love how natural that looks.

Laurel @ Ducks in a Row said...

It makes it even more special than just going out and buying something! Thanks

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails