Sunday, August 15, 2010

New Look for the Wall

My kitchen wall is in need of a makeover.  Well, the whole kitchen is in need of a makeover but that will have to wait.  But, right now I can do something about this wall with things I already own.  The wall is just a cream color and a Will Moses print is hanging on it above the kitchen table.  The whole kitchen is in a cottage style, very early 90's.  I am trying to introduce more color and makeover with accessories and paint what I can do until we remodel more of the kitchen later.

 The first thing I did was take this new-to-me plate rack and I gave it a fresh coat of paint.
It is now spray painted with oil rubbed bronze.
I have some 1800's fall seed catalog pages that I have wanted to use for a long time.  The colors are what I am aiming for in the kitchen.
  
Here is the back side of those pages.  Hard to choose with the one on the right, the back is as beautiful as the front.
I had these three stained wooden frames.  They were not in use and  they were just the right size for my pictures.
I spray painted them with oil rubbed bronze and it gave them new life.  But, they weren't quite what I wanted yet.
 So, I sanded them to make them look worn.  That is the look I was aiming for.
I was over at The Graphic's Fairy's  site this week and I found this fantastic pumpkin label.  It was perfect to go with this project.  The label looks like it was from the same time period as my seed catalog pages.  Click the link to go to this pumpkin label.
 
So, I framed each image.
 I centered this above the kitchen table and used a yard stick to measure it out.  
It helps to use this paper template method when hanging a grouping.
This is how it turned out.  I got the sunflower plate at Pier 1.  The gold plates in the plate rack are Hotel Balfour.  The black transferware is by Royal Stafford  and the pattern is Harvest Village. 


I really liked this plate with the seed catalog images because the theme was harvest and the plate also had wheat sheaves on it.

Here you can see the wall is part of the view out into the new addition.  The kitchen table will be on the agenda for a makeover this fall.  

I will link to:  Go over and view all these great links.
Metamorphosis Monday at Between Naps on the Porch
Show Off Your Cottage Monday at The House in the Roses
Just Something I Whipped Up at The Girl Creative
Brag Monday at The Graphic's Fairy
2nd Time Around at A Picture is Worth a 1,000 Words
Trash to Treasure  at Reinvented
Transformation Thursday  at The Shabby Chic Cottage
Vintage Thingie Thursday  at The Coloradolady



40 comments:

stefanie said...

perfect!!!

Happy To Be/ Gl♥ria said...

Sherry what an impact statement this made girl...Love the fall colors...the black really makes it pop...Hope you have a GREAT Sunday my friend...Hugs and smiles Gl♥ria

GrannySue said...

It looks just wonderful. I really, really like the frame you did - how clever with the perfect color and the sanding. It all looks sooooo good. Love those labels. Thanks for sharing the project photos and how you put it all together.

Shelia said...

Hi Sherry! Oh, what a difference! I love your pretty wall vignette you've put together and how wonderful to could be thrifty at the same time. The olden pictures are so sweet and your look is reminding me of fall! The black and white plate is so pretty.
Thank you for popping in to see my kitchen.
be a sweetie,
shelia ;)

It's Just Dottie said...

You did a incredible job. It looks so pretty and welcoming.
Dottie

Wendy said...

Love the color scheme! Don't you just feel great when you can create something so beautiful and be thrifty at the same time? Looks awesome :)

A Hopeful Heart said...

Looks beautiful!!

I have a question, though. How do you take a graphic like that and make a framed art piece out of it? Once you save it to your computer, what do you do? (I am computer challenged and don't do much on the computer, so forgive what may be a stupid question) Would you email me (on my profile) and let me know what steps will accomplish that.

Thanks so much. And, again, it looks beautiful.

Blessings,
Patti

marty (A Stroll Thru Life) said...

Oh, I love your wall vignette. Your prints and the plates are so pretty. I love how you made templates and placed them on the wall to test it out. What a fabulous idea. I really do like the colors. Very pretty. Your plate rack is fabulous. Hugs, Marty

The Decorating Diaries said...

Everything is so pretty. I love the colors you are using.

Janet

Charity said...

Very cute idea! I'm a new follower from Just Something I Whipped Up.

Charity

http://humboldtcherry.blogspot.com/

Melissa said...

The images you chose are beautiful!!

Cindy Adkins said...

Oh wow, this looks fantastic and your home is SOOO pretty!!! You did an amazing job--truly beautiful and this images are great--so much work, but so worth it!!!
Hugs,
Cindy
xox

Kathy @ Creative Home Expressions said...

I love all the images you used here! Love the colors you are going with for your kitchen, too

Edie Schmidt said...

Love it just love It!!!!

Sue (Someone's Mom) said...

That is quite a transformation. It really does look so much nicer than your one lonely print. I love how you used to old artwork to come up with your color/theme.

ewenique said...

I intend on using that pumpkin label also, glad to see it framed, spurs my imagination!

PetraB said...

A great use of the seed catalogue pages and the pumpkin label. It just works so perfectly together.

Barbara said...

Sherry, this looks terrific! That pumpkin graphic really appeals to me too and I have been thinking about how I want to use it. This new look to your kitchen just looks wonderful.

Ms Bingles Vintage Christmas said...

Wow! Love it! Love it!
These look terrific!
Thank you for sharing!
Leticia

Ms Bingles Vintage Christmas said...

Oh, one other thing.... I love your blog and will be grabbing your button!
Leticia

Ellen said...

Very impressive! love the transformation. You are so smart about your decorating. I love the pictures you used and the finishing touches to the frames!

xoxox,
Ellen

Catch A Falling Star said...

It is simply darling!
You did a great job.
I always say I am going to use the paper on the wall method before hanging my photos but, I am always too impatient to get them up...lol.

Wanda Lee said...

This is an amazing transformation; I love the designs, the art and the plates, as well as the rich colors especially!..,

Thanks for sharing this with us; your home looks lovely!

~Oh do come for this week's delightful; 'Tuesday And Wednesday Teatime In Blogland'!..,

.., Please come by and join us for our weekly blog tea parties; for my 44th, 'Tuesday Tea For Two', my 35th, 'Wednesday Tea For Me And Thee', as well as for my shared meme with my dear friend Pam for our 16th, 'Teapot And Tea Things Tuesday'; there are many new delights await you this week!

..,We always love having you join us and we thank you very much for joining us in the past!..,

*(We both work full time as self employed persons and apologize when we are unable to get back to you as soon as we would prefer)..,

Have a marvelous week! ~Hope to see you soon!


Cheers and hugs from wanda Lee

Diane@A Picture is Worth.... said...

Sherry,
Your wall arrangement is awesome. Love how you used the paper to make a plan!

Thanks for linking to 2nd Time Around!

Karen- The Graphics Fairy said...

Wow, it looks fantastic!!! I'm so glad you were able to use that Pumpkin label image, it goes perfectly with the other pieces! Thanks for linking this up to Brag Monday.

Jeanne said...

I am loving this to pieces. That means the pieces of found art is wonderful. Your makeover looks awesome. Good job and 'clever' for a small investment. You go girl.
Hugs, Jeanne

Postcardy said...

I like the graphics on your seed catalog pages.

Sally Annie Magundy said...

Love what you did, just wonderful!

Happy VTT,
Sally

Cabin and Cottage said...

I love these old seed catalog graphics! Your arrangement is perfect. Fun to see. Jacqueline

Maureen said...

The old seed catalogs are just wonderful. I have an old Salzer seed catalog from the 40's. The transferware plate is gorgeous too.

Marty said...

Your wall looks really nice=) I too lean towards Fall colors in my home.

Ulla said...

Beautiful, and just my colours.

Vonlipi said...

Quite a statement! I think it sets the tone beautifully.

Love the pumpkin label. Happy VTT!

Miri said...

Very pretty! Love the plate hanger!

Sarah said...

These are really neat! Thanks for the idea to hang up paper first when planning the grouping. Love it!

Happy VTT! Be sure to visit my blog for a great giveaway!

Sarah
***Visit my blog for a GIVEAWAY and new linking party!***
http://bloggingwhilewaiting.blogspot.com/2010/08/new-wednesday-party-link-up-giveway-too.html

gail said...

what a great idea-so pretty!
gail
adventuresininnkeeping.blogspot.com

Pink Roses and Teacups said...

Hi nice to meet you! What a wonderful and thrifty transformation. Love it!!! Perfect for fall, and I love how you measured everything and made templets for the wall first. Great job!

Debbie

P. said...

Fantastic! I love how you transformed all your individual elements into a nice grouping on your wall.

Sue said...

Ah, yes- the magic of ORB! The wall vignette turned out great- love the fall look of it, with your seed packet art and the plates. I always use templates for my walls. Saves a lot of headaches and nail holes. LOL
~ Sue

Anna said...

What a fabulous display. Those are all great elements, I have that pumpkin label, too. Just had it out today as a matter of fact to scan & use in a card or a wall hanging - or both.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails