Monday, July 5, 2010

Tabletop and Antique Poetry

I have a dresser that is part of a set of bedroom furniture that belonged to family.  I thought I would show it today.
I have a Aladdin Lamp on the top surface. 
I placed an old doily, a dresser tray with some vintage items, and a few antique books on the main dresser surface. 
I also have an old chalk cherub that is great for holding jewelery.   
 The bottom book I'll  show you a peak of.  It is titled "Dawn to Daylight: Gleams From the Poets of Twelve Centuries."   It starts with an excerpt from Caedmon the oldest Anglo-Saxon poet on record (at the time of publishing) and continues through with works by all of the greatest English poets till Elizabeth Barrett Browning.  I couldn't find a date in the front of the book but a handwritten inscription from one person to another; that it was presented to, dates 1887.  It is leather bound.  I got it at a flea market years ago and I have always loved it.
 Front illustration and title page.
It is filled with many illustrations depicting the pastoral settings in the poetry.
I really admire wonderful old books and romantic Victorian settings I think they are timeless.  So, I thought I would share this.
I will link to:
A Stroll Thru Life's Tabletop Tuesday.
The House in the Roses' Show off Your Cottage Monday. 
Paula Grace Designs' Timeless Tuesday.
House of Grace's Twice Owned Tuesday. 


Atelier de Charo said...

So elegant dresser, lovely vintage touchs!


Shelia said...

Beautiful furniture! And what a find in that old book.
Hope you had a great 4th of July.
Be a sweetie,
Shelia ;)

Kirsty said...

Oo that book looks absolutely gorgeous!

marty (A Stroll Thru Life) said...

Your dresser is gorgeous. I just love it. You have such a beautiful vignette on it too. I think those pieces are hard to decorate and you've done it perfectly. Thanks so much for joining TTT. Hugs, Marty

fitty's pinky rose cottage said...

oh I love your dresser.. the woody colour just lovely! and even more lovelier with all the pretties you displayed on the dresser!.. the dresser tray is my fave!.

Happy To Be/ Gl♥ria said...

Girl I love that antique dresser and you have the ole gal done up so great...Thanks for sharing...Hope you have a GREAT day...hugs and smiles Gl♥ria

Sandi@ Rose Chintz Cottage said...

Lovely! Love the book of poetry too!



Related Posts with Thumbnails