Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Sunflowers, Toile, and a Rooster

What is it about toile, sunflowers, and a rooster that go together?  

Toile de Jouy; a fabric that originated in France in the late 1700's, is usually a white or off white fabric printed with a pastoral scene.  The translation simply means "cloth from Jouy-en-Josas," a town in north central France.  This fabric is by Waverly the pattern is Country Life in black.
A rustic rooster always looks at home in a French country setting.

Sunflowers are at home in a old crock.

A black candlestick works well here.
Charger by American Atelier pattern Athena
Dinner plate by Pfaltzgraff pattern Weave
Salad plate by Maxcera pattern Terra Cotta Sunflower
Goblets by The Cellar made for Macys
Sherbets found at thrift store

Thanks for taking a stroll through my French Country tablescape.  I will be joining Susan for her 100th Tablescape Thursday at her site Between Naps on the Porch.  Congratulations Susan on your 100th!  You have created a favorite meme for many!  

After I created this table I searched the web for more inspiration on French Country and fall decorating.  I came across this picture and I thought it would be a great inspiration photo.  A person wrote into HGTV and said she had a white kitchen how could she decorate it?  The designer suggested this combination.
From white to wonderful in 4 easy steps.  
  1. Painted the wall light yellow.
  2. Added a toile window treatment.
  3. Put a rooster and sunflowers on the island.
  4. Added wrought iron bar stools in oil rubbed bronze.
I have seen many people with white walls wondering what to do with them.  I thought this was such an easy and simple transformation  that I would share it.  Article written by Mark McCauley ASID.  Here is the link to read the whole article. Photo and article found at
I will link this to Shabby Chic Cottage's Transformation Thursday.


It's Just Dottie said...

Everything look sooo pretty.

Sandi@ Rose Chintz Cottage said...

Hi Sherry,
Your table is sooo pretty! I just LOVE toile and roosters and sunflowers. The transformation photo is lovely too. Thank you for sharing and have a lovely evening.


Blondie's Journal said...

This is a beautiful and fresh country French tablescape, Sherry...I really like it! I also like the image with the 4 really jazzed up that kitchen. Roosters seem to be the big key in French country decorating!


marty (A Stroll Thru Life) said...

Your toile, sunflowers and rooster are just gorgeous. Love them. They are so pretty and the tablescape is just stunning. Your kitchen is a dream. So pretty. Hugs, Marty

Sharlotte said...

What a great table! I love the sunflowers, rooster, and always a favorite, toile! Thanks for the inspiration picture, it's great too!

PAT said...

Beautiful table! I love the sunflowers!

Wendy said...

Beautiful tablescape and love your inspiration picture!! Sunflowers always make me smile...they add so much fun and beauty to a room! Love the toile fabric!

Jenny at Henrietta's House said...

I love the toile! And sunflowers are one of my favorite flowers!! Looks beautiful.

Sarah said...

Your table makes me smile with the combo of the sunflowers, toile, and that jaunty rooster. ~ Sarah

Red Couch Recipes said...

I do love your toile, rooster and sunflowers combined! It is so cheery all together. Joni

Entertaining Women said...

Your rustic tablescape is charming. I adore the toile and the mix of different patterns. Thank you for sharing your design. Cherry Kay

Dee@FrenchBleuVintage said...

I agree, sunflowers, roosters, and black toile - they are perfect together. Love the look of the white kitchen now - I have a white kitchen just beggin' for a do-over.

Barbara said...

What a pretty combination! I like the toile so much with the sunflowers. I like the rustic, simple feel and yet the toile gives is a touch of elegance. Lovely...

Johanna said...

this table is really nice with those sunflowers on it. I love the salad plates and the flowers and the toile just sets them off so well. The idea of the kitchen transformation photo is lovely, too. Thank you for sharing this.
Greetings, Johanna

once in a blue moon... said...

darling kitchen and cute rooster~

Tricia@The Dull and the Dutiful said...

Sunflowers and toile? Two of my all-time faves! Your table is lovely, and so appealing! I want to try a sunflower table soon!

Atelier de Charo said...

Is a beautiful setting!

CIELO said...

Very pretty and summery with the sunflower arrangement. Love love your white kitchen; it feels so airy and light.... and I would just have to linger a little longer around here and see if I can locate your garden, because I'm totally loving your blog header and that enchanted spot... ;)



craftyles said...

I love the sunflowers and the rooster. Beautiful! Your kitchen redo is really great too!

Shine said...

Such a beautiful post! I do so love black and white toile...I think it is my very fave....well that and red....oh and I love blue as well:)The rooster and sunflowers do look right at home. Thanks for the inspiration! Think I'll run out and cut some flowers for my sunflowers, but I do have black-eyed susans!! Have a lovely day!

Susan Ramey Cleveland said...

Very pretty.

The Quintessential Magpie said...

Sherry, I love what you did with this tablescape and also with your kitchen. The rooster, the toile, the sunflowers (plate and arrangement), the yellow walls... ALL as cute as can be. What a happy, sunny kitchen.

Speaking of happy, Happy Tablescape Thursday to you!


Sheila :-)

laurie @ bargain hunting said...

Oh Sherry, your tablescape is so charming! This is a favorite combination of mine too - rooster, toile, and sunflowers. So French. Even your crock holding the flowers looks French. You could have advised the "white kitchen" writer what to do, since this decorator used all of your tablescape ideas! laurie

Dining Delight said...

LOVE those sunflower plates! And so true, toile, sunflowers and roosters just naturally go together...with a little help from a talented tablescaper like you! Terrific 'scape! Enjoyed seeing the way the accessories added life to the white kitchen too!


Mimi said...

Nothing better than toile, sunflowers and your table, Sherry.

Requi@Tablescaping Escapades said...

Such a charming table with the toile, sunflowers an rooster. So cute.

All the Best,


Mid-Atlantic Martha said...

How pretty -- I love toile....and sunflowers...and roosters too! So charming.

marlis said...

Love your dishes.. love your combination! Thanks for the inspiration

Sue said...

Thank you for stopping by my blog. Your table is beautiful - love the toile, love the sunflowers - so nice!

The Tablescaper said...

Great table. Love the pop of color from the sunflower plates.

- The Tablescaper

Susan (Between Naps on the Porch) said...

Sherry, I LOVE toile...LOVE sunflowers and LOVE roosters so this table is a complete homerun with me! Just beautiful!
Is that your kitchen or did you say it is an inspiration kitchen you saw on HGTV? I'm dense...please forgive me. LOL It's beautiful, either way and you are so nice the share these great ideas!
Thanks again for a wonderful 100th TT!

Tardevil said...

Love the toile and that black candlestick is gorgeous! I could have sworn that I've seen goblets like those recently @ the Dollar Tree because Wal-mart use to sell a Libbey version in green that I wanted but never got. Might be worth checking out, if you need a few extra for not alot of $$. Beautiful table.


Related Posts with Thumbnails