Sunday, June 13, 2010

Metamorphosis Monday

This is the beginning of several changes I am working on in the dining room.  Our house had a major remodel two years ago and an existing living room became a dining room.  But, the problem being, we had no dining room furniture.  So, slowly I have been taking free furniture from family and shopping the house to "creatively" furnish this new space.

One of the great free items I came up with was a print of a cottage.
Now, I know everyone is stopping right here and saying okay where is the before picture.  This is what the wall; where the cottage print is hanging, looked like before.  It had bookcases on it.
So, the change I am showing to you today is really just some sconces.  I had these from Pier 1.  They are from the 80's.  They had been in storage a long time and I pulled them out and decided to try them out with a new coat of spray paint.
 Here they are after some oil rubbed bronze spray paintYes, I know I am missing a candle.  Hobby Lobby only had one candle.  When I get a chance I will get another one.  I am not done with this wall.  I plan to do  more changes to these pieces and their finishes.  But, here is my progress so far.  Poll:  Do you like the dark frame around that print or would you lighten it up?   I am leaning toward lightening up the color.
I will link this to:
Metamorphosis Monday at Between Naps on the Porch
Make It for Monday at Cottage Instincts
Show Off Your Cottage Monday at The House in the Roses
Please join these ladies and enjoy all that is going on at their sites.

10 comments: said...

I love the bronze paint!

kelee from met monday

Rosie@Journey to Charm said...

I love that picture. I never know whether to lighten a frame or not.

Anita said...

Love the sconces!! I am a big fan of painting things like that too! Thanks for stopping by the sure and come again:-)

Stephanie ~ Angelic Accents said...

Hi Sherry! Thanks so much for visiting me today! I love that print of the sweet cottage. I normally whiten things up, but I'd be tempted to just keep the frame as is ~ I think it brings out the roofline of the cottage better darker. But that's just my lil idea. Love those pretty sconces, too!

Big TX Hugs,
Angelic Accents

Allison Shops said...

I love cottages. I also would keep the frame as it is. Great sconces.
Dropping by from Met Monday; 18ft Island Kitchen.


Laura Ingalls Gunn said...

This is a truly wonderful transformation. So creative and clever!

CIELO said...

Pretty, and very crafty.... love that cozy corner of your home... and thanks for participating in Show Off Your Cottage Monday and for sharing your world with us...


Debbie@Debbie-Dabble said...

I just wrote a comment and it disappeared into thin air!!
Anyway, I love the frame as is and the sconces came out great.
Very beautiful picture!!


Chari at Happy To Design said...

Hi Sherry...

Ohhh's always fun to redo and redecorate a room! From what I can see, your dining room is turning out simply gorgeous! I love, love, LOVE the art of the's so beautiful! You know, I think I would lighten it a bit...simply because of the white cabinet that sits underneath it! Maybe just a white wash over the top? Since the house/cottage is white...I think that doing the frame white or at least lighter will just make that pretty cottage stand out! Just my two cents worth! Hehe! I also like your sconces and the oil rubbed bronze finish! Sooo pretty, Sherry! Thank you for sharing your pretties with us today!

Warmest wishes,
Chari @Happy To Design

Cassie @ Primitive & Proper said...

wow- the sconces look SO much better and with not too much work! i love the little setup you have- looks fantastic!
also loving your wreath on the side- GORGEOUS!


Related Posts with Thumbnails