Thursday, June 3, 2010


Monte Cassion Abbey 
Image from

 What makes a courtyard?  Immediately my mind conjures up an image of an Italian courtyard.  I think of Spain and possibly Mexico.  I often see them in hotels.   But, did you realize the courtyard can be very humble.  It is just basically an area partially or completely surrounded by a building or walls.  
Most of the time I think of a courtyard being at the back of the house but it can be on the side or the front of the home.  
Image from
A courtyard is usually tucked away where the beauty is just for the privileged few.
Image from
Image from
Image from
New Orleans French Quarter

Perfect for intimate entertaining. 

Image from

It is all about serenity.
A private room to enjoy nature.
Courtyards are one of my favorite things.   We are starting with a clean slate behind our home after some major remodeling.  The courtyard is starting very humbly and hopefully will grow even more humble and charming.

I am linking this to Cindy's Show and Tell Friday at her site My Romantic Home. 
And, Laurie's My Favorite Things at her site Bargain Hunting and chatting with Laurie.
I will also link to Melissa's Inspired by Fridays at The Inspired Room.
I will also mention I am having a $50 CSN Giveaway at my blog.
Click here to go to the giveaway post.
I will try to get around to everyone and tell you.  


Vintage Remixed said...

Hi Sherry,

I love all those photos of the beautiful courtyards. We took our honeymoon in Charleston and I was swooning over them. Happy Friday my dear!

Sherry @ No Minimalist Here said...

I have always loved the courtyards of Charleston and Savannah. They are like little secret gardens. Thanks for sharing.
xo, Sherry

fitty's pinky rose cottage said...

thanks for sharing these beautiful courtyard photos.. it gives me some ideas what to do with mine. happy friday!

Johanna said...

Hi Sherry,
thank you for visiting m and leaving that nice comment. So I discovered your blog. I love the photos of the courtyards. Actually I would like to have one. They are really a versatile and private room outdoors. Thank you for all the nice photos.
Have a nice time, Johanna

Miss Gracie's House said...

Courtyards add so much atmoshpere! Love 'em!

Debbie said...

I just LOVE the photos of the courtyards! They are a feature which is among my favorites. The one near the beginning from Southern Living looks a lot like the courtyard off of our B&B room on our wedding night. I don't think it is... but it was just as beautiful.


AshTreeCottage said...

Beautiful courtyards! Thanks for brightening my day!

Susan and Bentley

laurie @ bargain hunting said...

Sherry, courtryards are a favorite of mine too, and you have found some stunning examples. That one with shutters opening out from a gazebo (or some other kind of outdoor shelter) just took my breath. How romantic; how beautiful. Wonderful Favorite Things post. I love it. laurie

The Blackwood Cottage said...

Beautiful blog!
Courtyards have been around since humans have been building because we love the quiet seclusion and beauty! I don't have one but oh if I did.....

Victoria said...

Your photo's are beautiful! I would love to have a courtyard but who wouldn't!!!

Sarah said...

Courtyards are one of my favorite things as well. There is something totally serene about being in these outdoor spaces, and dining alfresco is truly the best. Thanks for sharing these lovely courtyards. Good luck with your project. ~ Sarah


Related Posts with Thumbnails