Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Gifts From the Sea

I had this idea last year; when I went on vacation, to buy some shells and make this wreath I had been seeing everywhere.  You know the one made out of a grapevine wreath that sorta looks extra twiggy.

Image from pinecones.com
But, as all good plans are made; I went shopping and that is not the wreath I found.
I went to Michaels craft store and this was the wreath I found.  It was tagged 8-inch twig fan. My imagination took over; as it usually does, and I saw this wreath looking like a wave washing the shells up on the beach.  I really liked it better than what I went to the store for.
So I unpacked some of the shells I had purchased on vacation.
I hot glued those  shells and some that we also found on the beach to the wreath.

 This is how it turned out.  Since it is asymmetrical,  I used two hanging ribbons to get it to hang the way I wanted it to.  I now have it on my front door for summer.
I will link this to Whatever Goes Wednesday at Someday Crafts.
And, White Wednesday at Faded Charm.  
Please go over and view all the wonderful things being entered over there.


kim said...

Oh, I love that wreath with the beach items added. Great texture with the long parts filled with goodies.

Vintage Remixed said...

What a beautiful wreath. I haven't seen any like that before. Great job.

Cabin and Cottage said...

I'm crazy about shells and anything beachy. THIS is really original and spectacular! Good pick! It looks fabulous against your white door. Great post. Jacqueline

BailiwickStudio said...

I really like that! I need a seashell wreath for my door this summer - I'll remember your inspiration. ::Jill

Jan LaFollette said...

Thanks for visiting me today! I really like the wreath, I have a shell collection and need a piece for the front door....that wreath would be very cool. Great idea!

32˙North said...

That's a great project! And perfect timing with summer just around the corner!



Hello, I really like how your beach wreath came out, so pretty. I love it being asymmetrical, which makes it so unusual. I recently did a memory/photo jar filled with beach sand, seashells and starfish that I glittered. You can view it here if you wish:
Have a wonderful week.

Bead and Needle said...

I like that this is asymmetrical SO much more than if it had been what you were after - it really IS unique!

Yvonne @ StoneGable said...

Sherry this turned out to be a spectacular wreath. I think the asyemmetry of it really takes it up a decorative notch or 10. Wonderful idea, and perfectly done. I would love one for my home!

Angie @ The Country Chic Cottage said...

Oh that is pretty!! Very unique -- nice job!

A Cottage Muse said...

Simply perfect!!! I would love to have this hanging on my door!

Debra@Common Ground said...

Hi Sherry, I just adore this, you really came up with a gorgeous wreath! So nice that it holds special memories also!

A 2 Z said...

Hi Sherry,

Thanks for visiting me earlier. I love these white stars. Susan has also used them in her Thursday Tablescape. Very beautiful. Thanks for sharing!


michelle@somedaycrafts said...

So cute!! Thanks for linking up!!

Ann @ makethebestofthings said...

Love your wreath! I have a huge wreath on my porch to which I am going to add some twiggy goodness including the twig "wave" off the side. I'm picturing ferns and greenery and maybe some cones and bark? Then I'll have to make another one with your beachy vibe. Wonderful.

Carolee ~ ArtPodStudios said...

Love the wreath and your BLOG! I've been redecorating our bedroom and may just have to make one of these wreaths too. We went on a cruise this winter and brought some sand back from one of the beaches and I purchased some shells to go with it. Bought a glass bottom see-through lamp at Target and put the sand and some of the shells in it, so was wondering what to do with some of these other beautiful shells....the wreath would be perfect!! I'm putting your button on my blog,Visions Of Bliss, don't want to lose track of you. Love your decorating ideas!


Related Posts with Thumbnails