Monday, April 5, 2010

Tray Reinvented to Table Top Centerpiece

I have this tray I found at the thrift store.  I watched it for several months and then it was marked down to a $1.  I decided that if I purchased it for that and if it didn't work out I wasn't out much.  So, I got it. 

This is how my tray started out.  It was a very abused silver plated tray.  The silver plate had been worn off down to the brass on over half of the top surface.

So I did an experiment with it.  First I sanded it with a sanding sponge.  Then I spray painted it.  It took several coats of white spray paint. 

I was very pleased with how the handles and the trim turned out.  I aged them by sanding off some of the paint with the sanding sponge.

I wasn't as happy with the surface of the tray it bubbled and wouldn't take paint where it was pitted, but it did look very shabby.

I used the tray as a base for my spring table decor.  I first took a bird cage and lined the bottom with sheet moss and then put a pillar candle in it.

I then placed a urn on the tray with a nest perched on top.

I next placed a little butterfly framed shabby style on the tray.
 
Now for a little surprise instead of eggs in the nest; just to hint at summer, I placed two seashells in it.

There you have spring table decor.  A variation might be to place sheet moss all over the surface of the tray and not just in the birdcage.  You could also place an electric pillar candle in the birdcage instead of a real one.  I will show you how I created the butterfly picture tomorrowI will be linking to Marty's Tabletop Tuesday at A Stroll Thru Life, Diane's 2nd Time Around Tuesday at A Picture Is Worth A 1,000 Words, Nifty Thrifty Tuesdays at Coastal Charm, and Trash To Treasure Tuesdays  at Reinvented.  Please join these ladies and check out all the great treasures being reinvented.

23 comments:

Debbie said...

THat looks great!~ I seriously would not have thought about painting silver....but you did a great job!~

Jane said...

I was very interested in reading about painting the silver tray because I found a silver plated sugar bowl last week that I want to paint white. Your piece turned out great!! You put together a very pretty vignette.
Jane

kim said...

You created a very pretty vignette with that tray.

Kathy @ Creative Home Expressions said...

This makes for a very pretty and Spring-y vignette! Love the birdcage with the candle!

Sarah said...

What a clever idea! It all looks lovely together.

Liz said...

Love this! You did such a great job with your vignette! :)

~Liz

Shari @ My Cottage of Bliss said...

You certainly made lemonade out of lemons because this tray made the perfect base for your charming vignette. For the beachy lovers, a little white sand in a tray like this with a few pillar candles and some seashells is stunning too.

Enchanted Rose Studio said...

The tray is fabulous, Sherry! Looks so pretty shabbified. Love the vignette!

Cheers!
Tina

Ann said...

What a fabulous idea! I never would have thought to spray paint over a silverplated tray. The wonders of a can of spray paint never cease to amaze me. Thanks for sharing.

Diann @ The Thrifty Groove said...

That turned out so pretty! I might be painting a couple of pieces once I exhaust all polishers and cleaners i can on them! LOL

Laurie said...

I love your tray! You did a wonderful job. Stopping by from sceneofthegrime.blogspot.com Come see me sometime!

Shelia said...

You really made that tray look so pretty. Love the little vignette you've set up on it too.
Be a sweetie,
Shelia ;)

Creations By Cindy said...

It turned out so nice! I love how you transformed an ugly duckling into a beautiful swan! Be blessed. Cindy

marty (A Stroll Thru Life) said...

What a great idea to use the painted tray and the vignette is wonderful. Love the birdcase and the urn with the nest is gorgeous. The shells instead of eggs is such a cute idea. The addition of the little butterfly picture just finishes the vignette. Love it all. Thanks so much for joining the party. Hugs, Marty

Tricia said...

Love your pretty spring vignette! And what a great idea to paint that tray! I have a couple of trays that could benefit from that technique.

A Cottage Muse said...

I absolutely love this! So glad I stopped by!!

Blondie's Journal said...

I love what you did with the tray...I think it turned out nice and I like how it holds your pretty vignette. The birdcage is SO cute with the candle inside. Nicely done!!

xoxo
Janie

Atticmag said...

Never saw the painting technique for a silvered tray before but found it very clever and a great contribution to your vignette. Really creative. Hope you'll stop by and get in on our really useful giveaway. -- Jane F.

Linda@Coastal Charm said...

Now that's a good looking $1.00 tray...thanks for sharing it with all of us at NTT!

Blessings,
Linda

Scribbler said...

Such a cool idea -- painting the old silver tray that! I was actually toying with the idea of using gesso on an old plated piece, but it has gotten away from me apparently, and I need to find another one to try it. I'll let you know if it works. Your vignette on the tray is really nifty!

Scribbler
http://scribbler-unfocused.typepad.com/

Carmie, the Single Nester said...

I didn't think you could paint a tray like this. Great job.

Lisa said...

ha! I have that same birdcage. Dont'cha just love it?

Maria said...

Thank you for the idea, Sherry :)
I have a couple of trays very similar to yours and I am going to try to paint them. We'll see how they turn.
Enjoyed looking around your blog.
x0x

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails