Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Spring Decor for Your Door

I found this great nest at a local discount store this weekend and I knew I had a thrift store basket that would work well for this project.
The basket started out natural and I spray painted it white.
I placed  floral foam blocks down in my basket.
I placed a large piece of sheet moss over the blocks.  
 I placed my new little nest in the center of the sheet moss.
Then I placed some ferns in the sheet moss and stuck them down into the foam blocks.  You could pin any of this down with floral picks or pins too.
 I then added some baby's breath for a filler. 
 I took 3 yards of a white wired ribbon I had left over from another project and fan folded it to the size bow I wanted.
 I then fold that in half.
 Then I cut each corner off.  This is just how I make a bow.
I am sure there are other ways to do it.
I stick a floral pipe cleaner through the fold.
And then I twist it real tight.
Then I fluff my bow.

This is the finished product.  The plus to this basket is it had a flat back that hung on the door and it had a flat bottom which could sit on a table so you could get multiple uses out of it.
Just one more close up of that little nest.
I will be linking this up to Fun to Craft's Look At Me I Am so Crafty party.
Blue Cricket Design's Show and Tell Wednesday.
And Faded Charm's White Wednesday.


23 comments:

Debbie @ ribbonwoodcottage.blogspot.com said...

Love it. What a great project and it turned out so beautiful. I love it! Love the sweet little nest.
blessings,
Debbie

kim said...

I love your basket you made and thanks for the bow making tutorial. I have not seen that done before.

Raspberries and Rose Petals said...

Oh my goodness! Your basket is stunning!

Happy White Wednesday!

Warmly,
Lori

Jeannie B. said...

That is very clever!

One Cheap B*tch said...

I love your basket! There is just something about nests and eggs that make me all happy inside! Very lovely!

Jeanine

Rita Kent at TesoroFino.Com said...

I'm so glad you shared this with us. How inspiring and creative. I just love it!!!
There's nothing more that I love than Robin Egg Blue eggs and a bird's nest. I have this friend Lynn at The Vintage Nest Website that makes the most darling Egg & Nest Charm worn on a necklace. So pretty and thanks for sharing your creativity with us.

Faded Charm said...

Very clever idea and just in time for Spring.

Thanks for sharing and Happy WW.

Kathleen

Lisa said...

Your basket is beautiful! I love Spring door decorations! My daughter can tie those bows and I never could get the hang of it, but I think you have just shown me a trick I can use. Thanks! Happy White Wednesday!

Tallulah's Antique Closet said...

That is a cute and great idea. Thanks for stopping by.

Chari at Happy To Design said...

Hi Sherry...

Oooh...I love your pretty basket! It certainly brings a sweet "Spring" ambiance to your door! You did a great job creating it!!! Ohh yes, and thank you so much for sharing how you do the big, fluffy bows...that is so helpful!!!

I also wanted to thank you for coming by and taking a peek at my Peter Cottontail vignette. I really enjoyed your visit and the sweet note that you left...thank you, my friend!

Have a fabulous day!
Chari @Happy To Design

Michelle @ Sweet Something said...

The shape of the basket is fantastic! I love the nest! Great job!

Julie said...

Gorgeous!

Sandra said...

What a wonderful spring basket and neat way to make a bow! Thanks for showing me how to do it!

Stacey @ Fun to Craft said...

Love your basket. It turned out so great. Thanks for sharing at 'Look at me, I'm SO Crafty!' at Fun to Craft.

Alaina said...

The cutest basket, I like that you used a bird's nest and not flowers. Thank you for the bow tutorial, I have never seen it done that way.

Mimi said...

Sherry, that is the cutest basket with an egg-filled bird's nest.

Rene @ cottage and vine said...

What a lovely basket and the ribbon trick is very clever!

Enchanted Rose Studio said...

Your basket is so lovely, Sherry! The bird's nest is so charming! Love your clever bow technique! I am definitely going to give that a try!

cheers!
Tina

Mid-Atlantic Martha said...

What a beautiful Spring basket -- love your tutorial on the bow. Thanks for your very sweet visit to my tablescape.

Patrice said...

Cute basket! Love your blog.

laurie @ bargain hunting said...

That is such a unique and beautiful door decoration. I love it. laurie

once in a blue moon... said...

beautiful collection of pics~

Wendy said...

What a great tutorial! You're way to make a bow is so much easier than mine! Thanks for sharing.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails