Sunday, April 4, 2010

Metamorphosis Monday: Tray Makeover

I am joining Susan for Metamorphosis Monday at her site Between Naps on the Porch.  I will also add this to Make It For Monday at Cottage Instincts.  And, I will also add this to the Before and After Party at Thrifty Decor Chic.  I had a cutlery tray that went with my old pattern of dishes I used for everyday.  The pattern was Yorketown by Pfaltzgraff.  I don't use the pattern anymore and I thought I could remake this  and get a really cute tray out of it that I could use more.

 Here is what I started with.

I removed the decoration on the tray.
I sanded it first and then I prepared to spray paint it white.
I then spray painted it white.
While the multiple coats of spray paint were drying.  I came up with a design to put on the tray where I had taken the ceramic decoration off.  I used the old decoration to trace the shape on the design of my choice so it would fit nicely on the tray.  Now, I will tell you more about where I got these images from later this week. 

 I sanded some edges of the tray to age it a little.  Then I used Mod Podge to apply the shell design to the tray.

Luckily I earned a merit badge in knot tying with the skill of a sailor.  So, to give my tray a little coastal flair I tied some rope on and used a tacky craft glue to finish it off.  I am really looking forward to using it for summer.  Please go over to Susan's, Cindy's, and Sarah's sites and see all the makeovers.


shannon i olson said...

very nice. love it!

Allison Shops said...

Nice makeover. The paint freshens it up. I really like the touch of rope.

Be sure to stop by AtticMag this week for a Giveaway!

a little bit of everything said...

Hi, thanks for visiting my blog. I love how you transformed the tray. Very nice!

Shelia said...

This turned out so cute! You're very creative to think of using the cut out and rope!
Be a sweetie,
shelia ;)

Amy Kinser said...

You did a good job on this tray. Very nice.

I am partying with you tonight. Come on over for a visit.

Happy Easter.

Duchess of Tea said...

Hope you had a blessed and happy Easter. Take care luv and have a lovely week.

Love & Hugs

Ann said...

What a great tray, you really brought it back to life! Thanks for sharing. :)

Kathy @ Creative Home Expressions said...

Love this! What a great transformation! I would love to use something like this outside during the Summer to hold our silverware. Love the image and rope you added, too.

A Cottage Muse said...

It looks so much better now!! So glad I stopped by!

Rita Kent at TesoroFino.Com said...

This really came out terrific! Thanks for sharing your creativity! I enjoyed peeking around your blog! Be back again soon!

Tonya @ lovinthemoments said...

Great idea! Love it!

Barbara said...

Love it...very cute...touch of rope is great.


ClassyGal said...

Very Chic!

Lisa said...

That is the cutest thing I've seen today! LOVE the little rope detail!


Related Posts with Thumbnails