Thursday, April 8, 2010

Furniture Feature

I am so excited to finally have a piece of furniture to contribute to some parties.  Being thrifty I did shop the house for this remake.  I have a work area for blogging that was really getting worn out.  Little hands had worked their charms on my desktop and it didn't have any personality to start with. 
So I decided to resurface the desk.  I kept remembering this little wooden purse I had as a child that came as a kit.  It was a Holly Hobbie decoupage kit.  I loved that purse and had fun making it.  So that was the inspiration for this remodel.

The first step to my remodel was to sand down the top of my desk.  I just made it smooth.

Here the desk was when I was done sanding.  

Now, here is where I got some of the calligraphy I used in my spring vignette on Tuesday.  The images here were from Vintage Printable.  This site has been in several other blogs recently Low Tide High Style was featured here doing a great wall display with this free art work.  It is truly a goldmine for decorating.  Here is one other site you can get calligraphy dafont.comThat is where I got the calligraphy behind the butterfly picture I did Wednesday.  

So I printed a lot of pictures out to cover my desktop.  Just images that I liked.  I printed out more than I thought I needed so I didn't have to stop Mod Podging and go print more.

 Then I started to decoupage the images to the desktop.

I covered the entire surface with the largest images and then I went back with some smaller images.

The entire desktop was covered and I let each layer of Mod Podge dry well before I applied the next.  Altogether I had 4 coats of it.  I let the final layer dry overnight.

Here is the finished surface close-up.
Here is the entire work area remodeled.  I had to buy a few new office supplies to make it more functional.

Here is a bullentin board I purchased at TJMaxx for $15.  I aged it with crackle medium and then painted it black.
Basket just the size of computer disc from Walmart $3.   Kahula mug I already had.
This desk caddy was perfect.  Found at TJMaxx for $12.99.

Here is the finished surface one more time.  No problems with the images coming up.  If they did I would just reapply Mod Podge.  You could also put a clear acrylic sealer on it.  I also used regular copy paper cheapest grade from Walmart.  If the images were printed on something thicker you would have many uneven ridges and more of a chance of the images peeling off.
Total cost for desk $0.
Accessories $ 31
Complete remodel of work space priceless.
I will be linking to Miss Mustard Seeds Furniture Feature Friday, Funky Junk Interiors Saturday Night Special,  Finesse Your Nest Shop the House Sunday, Between Naps on the Porch Metamorphosis Monday, and Coastal Charm's Nifty Thrifty Tuesday. Please head over to these amazing blogs and see what other great remakes are out there.


Tracy's Trinkets and Treasures said...

I think that is a fun desk. I really like it. I am glad you shared it.

Cassie @ Primitive & Proper said...

looks great and gives you some eye candy while you work!

Miss Mustard Seed said...

What an amazing transformation! I love that site as well and the way you used the prints was brilliant. The desk looks 100 times better. Thanks for sharing it with us!

AutumnBrooke said...

Fun! I am a decoupage kind of girl. This is great!


Creations By Cindy said...

Love what you have done here! So creative. Be blessed. Cindy

Kristine at The Painted Hive said...

Wow! Great job. That desk was looking almost beyond help though you applied some magic. Beautiful!
Visiting from Miss Mustard Seed.

slommler said...

Well done!! Love the desk! And that CD holder is adorable!!

Low Tide High Style said...

Wow, your desk looks amazing! What a wonderfully creative idea, I love it! And thanks for the shout out!

Kat :)

Rene said...

Isn't Decoupage the greatest? I have some victims around here I may need to paper. (:
Thanks for stopping by my blog.

Pat Harris said...

You did great, girl! What fun. I've just tried decoupage and think I might be able to get the hang of it. lol.

Thanks for dropping in at junkblossoms. Blessings, Pat.

Kim @ Starshine Chic said...

Turned out great!! And now you have lots of pretty images to look at if you get bored. lol. Thanks for sharing. Makes me want to decoupage something.

BGndr said...

Looks great!! You're pretty dangerous with your Mod Podge!

Sarah @ Hennessey House said...

holy cow! what a transformation! i gotta admit, i'm not sure i was with you when i first saw the picture of you laying out the images on the desk surface, but you really pulled it off. this is such a cool idea....

Amber said...

Really love the desk transformation! So much more fun than just the usual painting.


laurie @ bargain hunting said...

Oh My Gosh! I love your desk makeover. What a clever idea - so much more interesting than a plain desk top. laurie

Casual (dash) Cottage said...

Turned out way better than I first expected. Love the after, newly decorated office area.
The desk is unique and the baskets and things to organize.

great job!

Samantha2818 said...

Your desk looks really great. To protect it more you could cover it with a sheet of plexi glass too! (I had the idea to put glass over my desk and slide photos etc underneath but haven't done it yet). Your desk area looks spookily like mine - my husband recently built a half wall to split a room and my desk butts up to that wall - very similar!

Shel at Dreamy Nest said...

What a cool idea. I just discovered the joys of Mod Podge and love this! Great job!
Visiting from Miss Mustard Seed - glad I did.

Heidi@TheCraftMonkey said...

that desk is fantastic!

Staci K. said...

Great idea - it looks fantastic. I might have to do this with my cheapo/ugly computer desk too.

Love the Decor! said...

Love that desk top what a great idea!!!
Thanks for your sweet visit!!

sweetpicklesandchocolate said...

Awesome makeover! I love it, very creative.

alwayslearning said...

pretty cool, really gave that desk a new life

Allison Shops said...

I love the desktop! Love it!


Marsha's Mpressions said...

What a great idea!

Judy @ In His Grip said...

The desk is FANTASTIC! Really! I love it. Don't you just get so excited when something you create really works. You did a great job.

AshTreeCottage said...

What a cheerful and happy place to work!! It's very inviting!

Susan and Bentley

Nichole said...

What a great solution! I love all of the accessories as well.

A Cottage Muse said...

A beautiful, unique work of art!!

Carmie, the Single Nester said...

Really great job! Looks lovely!

Kendall said...

WOW! Your desk looks amazing now! I'm just itching to do a project with Vintage Printables. Their prints are amazing. Thanks for linking up to Shop The House Sunday. Great job on that desk!

Linda@Coastal Charm said...

Luv the prints...this is such a COOL idea! Thanks for coming to NTT!


m said...

What a beautiful desktop!

How durable is the modge podge? I was thinking of doing this treatment to the inside of drawers.

Thanks for sharing!


Related Posts with Thumbnails