Friday, April 30, 2010

Ferns

One of my favorite things has become ferns.  They weren't always my favorite plant but, they have grown on me like a steadfast friend.
The Victorians became in love with ferns and with their penchant for collecting they dried them and pressed them in frames.
 Image from burrenperfumery.com
They are nature's lace.  That explains why I like them.
I love lace.
Image from gettingmarried.com

They look incredibly delicate...

 Image from wikiwak.com
even though they have been here millions of years.
 Images from enchantedbeachweddings.com
They are a favorite for weddings.
Image from barharborinn.com
Who would have thought you could put them on the cake?
Image from enchantedwedding.com

But they do put them on the cake literally.
Image from travel.webshots.com

On of the most popular places to have a wedding is The Fern Grotto in Kaui, Hawaii.  It is beautiful.  I can't top that so I will have to stop.
I am linking up with Laurie at her site Bargain Hunting and Chatting with Laurie  for My Favorite Things.  Please go to her site and view all the wonderful favorite things.

15 comments:

Sarah said...

I, too, adore ferns. We have a lot of shade in much of our landscape, so ferns are a great plant for us. There are so many different varieties. Thanks for sharing these interesting photos.

bj said...

Me, too...I LOVE ferns...especially Boston ferns. Hanging, they give a softness to my porch that I just adore.

Diann said...

Beautiful ferns! Ferns are always so soothing to me.

Alicia ~ time worn style said...

Hi there, found you via beach cottage. Gorgeous fern photos, especially that groto wow!
alicia

Cindy (Applestone Cottage) said...

I love ferns too, I just have never been good at keeping them healthy looking.
You have some beautiful pics on your blog, thanks for sharing with us.
cindy

laurie @ bargain hunting said...

Sherry, I agree-ferns are just wonderful, and you have picked such wonderful photos showcasing them. I like the term "nature's lace". Thank you for linking this lovely post to Favorite Things. laurie

Kathleen said...

Ferns are nice, but I ADORE Lily of the Valley!

Glenda/MidSouth said...

I also like ferns, and have 5 in my courtyard. However, I have never been able to keep one alive thru the Winter. :(
Enjoy your week.

becca said...

i love the pressed fern idea. it seems so classic and elegant.

GardenofDaisies said...

The ferns are so beautiful! And they look so pretty with the other shade plants... hosta and lily of the valley!

Kimberly said...

Those are lovely. I have not thought of having them in the house. I have tried orchids over and over. The one I have now...has lasted for about a month. (I have not checked on it today)LOL

Jane, Naples, Florida said...

I love your blog! So glad I found it and
will continue to follow! Ferns are
wonderful, I live in Florida, so they
do very well in the humidity!

Jane
Flora Doora

Low Tide High Style said...

I have learned to love ferns too! My mother grew a lot of them and they truly are nature's lace! That grotto in Hawaii would be such a beautiful place to get married!

Thank you for your sweet comment on my blog!

Kat :)

Prior said...

I love ferns, also! The fern cakes are awesome! Lezlee

Rettabug said...

Great photos! All the feathery edges appear really soft. Very pretty! Makes me want to go buy some right now.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails