Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Fern Tablescape

When we moved to this house the property had some plantings on it from the previous owners.  One of the things we inherited were these ferns.  For years I have moved them back and forth from back yard to front yard.  They have taken root in my front flower bed and they love it there.  I have tried to thin them out but, they come back every year and take over the bed.   They are growing on me more each year.  They are lush and a wonderful shade of green in the spring. 

I have showed you this pressed fern before.  It is super easy to press a fern and frame it.  All you need to do is place two pieces of paper in a large book and slip the fern nice and flat between the paper.  Place many heavy books on top and in a few weeks it will be dry and ready to frame.  I have this one on a piece of calligraphy paper.  Cost $0: Frame was given to me, fern was free, calligraphy printed from the internet.
This table has a lot of texture and pattern.
  Napkins were from TJMaxx on clearance 4 for $2.00.
Pewter napkin rings were gifts.
  The place mats were from Pier 1.  They were $ 4.95 a piece.
 For the centerpiece I have the vase of ferns, the fern print, and the hurricane filled with key limes and a few lemons. When your done with them on the table cook, with them.   My children wanted to know what the key limes were.  So, I squeezed a few and put them in a pitcher of lemonade.  They were a hit.  I will make a key lime pie with them so they can try them out.  

 The place setting:
Dinner plate/used as a charger: Domestications (Mom's)
Dinner  plate: Thrift store
Salad plate: Domestications pattern is Athena (Mom's)
Sherbet: Thrift store $.75 a piece.

 This dinner plate was on clearance at the thrift store.   One of them had a hanger on it.  I guess someone had them on the wall.  I love ferns on linens or dishes so I looked at them and saw potential for a very pretty table.  I think they were a $1 or 2 a piece.
Ice Tea Goblets: The Cellar by Macy's four were $11.99
I am joining Susan at her site Between Naps on the Porch
for Tablescape Thursday.  I will also join Tales from Bloggeritaville
for Thrifty Thursday.   Please go over to their sites and view 
all the wonderful ideas from talented bloggers.


Patti said...

What a gorgeous frame...and the fern looks so nice in it. Pretty tablesetting - I am partial to the color green!

Sherry @ No Minimalist Here said...

I love how you framed the pressed fern! Very pretty table setting and the fern plates are wonderful.

Tricia said...

Oh, your table highlights the pretty fern dinner plates so beautifully! LOVE the addition of the plaid napkin, too. I must get some placemats like that -- love the rustic touch they add.

once in a blue moon... said...

very pretty, i love grn and wht~

Johanna said...

Hi, I have also such a fern in my yard. Thats a graceful plant. And fern looks always good, fresh or dried. I love the fern designed plates with the tablemats. Great look together.
Greetings, Johanna

Mid-Atlantic Martha said...

Pretty ferns! And dishes. I love key lime pie -- I'm looking forward to a slice next week when I'm on vacation in Florida!

Sue (Someone's Mom) said...

How wonderful that you had the live ferns to go with the plates! Our first home had ferns and they did spread all over the place...but, they are so pretty and fresh! Love the combination with the lemons and limes. Very nice. Thanks for your visit today!


Kathleen said...

Very pretty! So calming!
And I DID struggle with mine...those! :)

Mimi said...

Sherry, love how you have used fresh ferns, a dried fern, and dinner plates with ferns!

Glenda/MidSouth said...

What a pretty table setting. You found some nice deals. I always buy a few ferns in pots each Spring, but have never had any luck with them in the ground.

xinex said...

Your ferns and your plates are beautiful, Sherry!..Christrine

vignette design said...

Your fern table setting is just beautiful. I love that you found those fern plates and incorporated them into a setting with real fern. The pressed fern really caught my eye. I am definitely going to try drying some. Putting them in front of calligraphy paper is a great idea. Thanks for the tutorial!.

Carol at Serendipity said...

I love the framed fern! I am filing that idea in my things to do folder.
The table is very, very pretty.


Rebecca said...

I love the pressed fern against the background of writing in the frame. Nice tablescape...very outdoorsy!

Wendy said...

I am going to need to sneak a piece of fern from my mom's flower garden! The fern looks so pretty framed! Your tablescape looks so pretty.
Thanks for the ideas.

linda said...

Your table is so pretty...I just love all of the different greens.

Thank you for the instructions on pressing and framing ferns. Yours is beautiful and you're right, easy and cheap.

Kelly McDermott-Bay said...

What a wonderful idea with your fern plant frame.
Kelly Bookend Diaries

Leigh of Bloggeritaville said...

What a gorgeous tablescape. And thrify...even better!
Thank you so much for joining in the Tales from Bloggeritaville Thrifty Thursday! I appreciate you joining in the party!

Tales from Bloggeritaville

Miss Merry said...

I echo the thrifty and nifty! Your ferns are lovely and you feature them so well. The dishes and glassware were such a find. Everything is so coordinated and looks so nice.

Thanks for sharing
Miss Merry

Beth said...

Very creative and pretty! I really like the framed fern. Pretty tablescape!

Mumsy said...

Oh so very pretty and creative use of fern! Beautiful tablescape!

CIELO said...

You have a lovely blog and I have added you to our blog roll...



Related Posts with Thumbnails