Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Butterfly Picture Makeover

I promised you yesterday I would show you how I made the butterfly frame in my spring tablescape.  This is the butterfly frame when I started.  I picked it up at the thrift store for $2.  It was this wonderful shade of apple green.  Not a bad color at all but I just didn't like it for highlighting this butterfly.  So I brought it home with the intent to remake it.
The backing looked just like a brown paper bag.  I peeled that off and this was what was left.  It has this velvet hanger with a brass ring too, which is really nice.

After I dismantled the picture and frame.  I covered the velvet hanger with tape and I spray painted the frame several times.

While the frame was drying, I took the cardboard insert out of the frame and used it as a template to cut a new backing for the butterfly out of this calligraphy print.  Now, I am going to tell you all about this calligraphy print and where I got it on Friday.  I have another big remake on Friday and I am so excited I can't wait to show it to you!  Okay, back to this redo.  I Mod Podged the calligraphy with just one coat of Mod Podge and I didn't cover the top of the calligraphy with it at all.

I had to put a new butterfly in the frame because the other butterfly fell apart when I removed it.  Now your asking yourself right now where did she get that butterfly?

The kids and I have had this entomology  project going on for the last two summers.  This is my father's 4H entomology project that he had from the 1960's.  The kids and I have found a few butterflies and moths and replaced the old faded ones in the case.  So, I had a duplicate and that is the one I used in the frame makeover.  You can find butterflies farmed and sold for mounting on the internet.  I don't make a practice of catching any butterflies that are now dwindling in number such as the Monarch.  The one in this case is from the 1960's.

I also roughed up the frame with sanding sponge a little so it looked chippy and old.  

Here is another frame where I used the calligraphy as a background mat.  This is with a pressed fern out of my garden.  When the ferns come up I will be showing you how I did this  and possibly some other projects with the ferns .   I will be linking up to Faded Charm's White Wednesday, and Blue Cricket Design's Show and Tell Wednesday.  Take a look at these parties and see what projects bloggers are coming up with for spring.


Kathy @ Creative Home Expressions said...

Ooh, I want to find out about that so I'll be checking in on Friday! I have a great butterfly image I would like to use and I just got a script {it might be a rub-on} that looks very similar to yours here that would work, and an empty frame that is looking for something pretty to be put in it. Love the fern, too!

Jane said...

Your transformation of the butterfly picture is fabulous. The script that you used adds SO much to the picture and the frame looks so much better painted white. I'll check back for your Friday project.

Allison Shops said...

How pretty! You'll have to check out the post I did on farmed butterflies last week for Outdoor Wednesday. Love the fern too. I use to frame them between 2 pieces of glass. I have a few real butterflies now. So pretty.

Be sure to visit AtticMag this week to register for our giveaway.


Rosewood Cottage said...

What a wonderful makeover! I love how the white really makes the butterfly POP!

Debra@Common Ground said...

Hi Sherry, I just joined as a follower, I love what you did with the frame and then the fern, just gorgeous! Can't wait to see more. Come by when you can.

Nice and Easy Antiques said...

Even pretty butterflies need help sometimes!...your project turned out gorgeous!

A Cottage Muse said...

Both creations are wonderful!! Glad I stopped by!

One Cheap B*tch said...

Gorgeous makeover! I think everything looks better with script writing or sheet music behind it!


Mary Beth @ Live. Laugh. Make Something said...

absolutely delightful! I love that script background! Hope to see you back at my place. I have become a follower and hope you'll do the same! until later...

Theresa @ 612Riverside said...

It looks beautiful now! The calligraphy behind it is the perfect background! I love that you have your dads project from the 60's, how cool. Happy WW, Theresa


Related Posts with Thumbnails