Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Tablescape Thursday: Movie Table Inspiration

I have a love of movies.  I especially love to see a movie set in places I would like to visit.  One of my favorite movies set in Ireland is The Quiet Man, starring John Wayne and Maureen O'Hara. 
Image form
The movie has a lovely little cottage with a scene where they have a meal.  Maureen O'Hara plays a feisty Irish girl. Mad at her brother, she slams a blue and gray crock down on the table and sends the teacups rocking.  Directed by John Ford who won an Oscar for best director for this film in 1953.  The Quite Man is a sentimental depiction of Irish culture by John Ford who was born to an Irish immigrant.  (Info from  So for March and all things Irish, my tablescape inspired by The Quite Man.
I used coffee cups instead of goblets.  It would have been the countryman's way to come in for lunch and have coffee with the meal and then head back out to work.
Pewter coffee pot- Wilton Armetale
My one piece of blue and white stoneware.  I did a post on it and you can read more about blue and white here. 

My blue and white  pattern is Coaching Scenes by Johnson Brothers.  In the movie I believe they are using Blue Willow.

Above was the salad plate and here is the dinner plate.  There are different images on each piece.
The creamer and the sugar.
The teacup has yet a different scene on it and a flower on the inside of the cup.

Click on picture to enlarge.
If you were wondering about the picture, it is a print from one of the greatest American folk artist's great-grandson  Will Moses.  His great grandmother being Grandma Moses.  The artist in that family have been depicting American culture in such a beautiful and true style for four generations.  You can read more about Will Moses and his art here.
I am joining Susan at Between Naps on the Porch go over to her site and check out all the wonderful tablescapes.


Low Tide High Style said...

Your tablescape is really lovely with all of your pretty blue and white dishes. And I like how you tied it in to one of your favorite films!

Kat :)

Mid-Atlantic Martha said...

That's my husband's favorite move! I wonder what he would say if I set the table like you -- it would be interesting if he noticed. I love the look you've created - how fun!

♥ Sonny ♥ said...

What a wonderful surprise I got when I clicked on your link. I ADORE that movie and have seen it about 30 times. Your table is a great example of the one in the movie. Your dishes are beautiful.. so glad I came here for a visit..

Sharlotte said...

Oh, I love this! The Johnson Brothers "Coaching Scene" is one of my favorites! Your table is so fresh...your pieces are so pretty! My husband and I enjoy watching "The Quiet Man"'s such a great movie! Thanks for sharing!

Yvonne @ StoneGable said...

Your Johnson Brothers "Coaching Scene" dishes are so pretty and the soft multi colored tulips look beautiful with them!

Yellow Rose Arbor said...

This is a very interesting tablescape, and pretty too! I really like that china with the blue gingham tablecloth! Great photo of the tulip on the edge of the plate!

Now I'm wanting to see that movie!


Kathryn @ Bonafide Southern said...

You have such a lovely piece of blue transferware. I love the coaching scene on it. Thanks for sharing and happy TT to you!

Roseanna said...

Your transfer ware is so pretty. This is one of my favorite films...Have a wonderful St. Patty's Day!

Bill said...

Beautifully done! I love the way you're tied your lovely tablescape to a classic film. You've provided some wonderful inspiration! Thank you.


My Cottage Charm said...

beautiful! I love to make new tablescapes too! What fun!
I wanted to invite you over to my blog for a party! :) I'm having my first ever Treasure Trove Thursday and thought you might like to put in a link to something you love!

Mimi said...

What a beautiful table. I love the blue and white transferware...the pitcher is really nice, too.

Sandy said...

The tulips make me long for spring!

So lovely - really enjoyed this.

The Tablescaper said...

Oh so pretty. If it's blue and white, I love it! Now, I don't think I've ever seen that movie. It sounds like an oldy, but a goodie. I'll have to add it to my list - a scene with a table in a cottage, absolutely.

- The Tablescaper

Kathleen said...

I will have to talk to the Tablescaper about never having seen that movie! I went shopping with her Tues!
I love that movie..My bil is Irish born and it is one of his faves.
Your tablescape is just lovely..the dishes so pretty and the tulips give it such a nice pop of color!
So glad you are joining in the St. Patrick's Day Party at my blog. I will be honored to have you attend..A thousand welcomes!♣♣

Jessa Irene (Holiday-Haven) said...

Beautiful and how fun to re-create something like that!

Cynthia said...

Love the blue and white! Have a great evening!

Diann @ The Thrifty Groove said...

Oh yor dishes are B-E-A-U-T-I-F-U-L!! Love them! Wonderful table and a fun way to be inspired.

Shine said...

Beautiful table. Most days, I love the red and white china the best, but today I am REALLY liking the blue! :-)

mgster said...

At last! I am so excited because you are the first tablescape I have seen to feature Coaching Scenes! I have had these dishes for many years and I LOVE THEM! To me...they are the most beautiful blue and white dish set ever. I have just about every piece but the coffee pot. That one is pretty costly. You have put a smile on my face today! :)

Sherry said...

Don't you love Coaching Scenes! My original box; that got me started, my Dad bought for me at an auction for $13. I just love them. Of all the blue and white transferware, I think they are the prettiest.


Related Posts with Thumbnails