Monday, March 15, 2010

St. Patrick's Day: Irish Food and a Tea

I wanted to create an original Irish dish today and you can't cook Irish without cooking potatoes.  So, I made this potato pancake called Boxty.  It is often eaten with breakfast.
An old Irish poem says:

Boxty on the griddle,
Boxty in the pan,
If you can't make boxty,
You'll never get a man


Boxty (Irish Potato Griddle Cakes)

Ingredients:
  • 1/2 pound raw potato
  • 1/2 pound cooked mashed potato
  • 1/2 pound plain flour
  • Milk (as needed, see directions)
  • 1 egg
  • 1 medium onion, finely chopped
  • Salt and pepper
Directions:
Grate raw potatoes and mix with the cooked mashed potatoes. Add salt, pepper, onion and flour. Beat egg and add to mixture with just enough milk to make a batter that will drop from a spoon.
Drop by tablespoonfuls onto a hot griddle or frying pan. Cook over a moderate heat for 3-4 minutes on each side.
Recipe source:  http://www.fantasy-ireland.com/Irish-potato-recipe.html

Now with our breakfast let us have a little tea with some lovely 2nd time around treasures.
I have an Irish breakfast tea to go with the Boxty.  I have not made scones yet, but I have a perfect replacement for them.  Sweet biscuits that go with our classic American Strawberry Shortcake.  The recipe source was from Betty Crocker.com and this link will take you directly to the recipe.
For my 2nd Time Around post I have set my tea with a wonderful thrift store findThis is a American Limoges plate rimmed in 22 K gold.  
I also have a pair of teacups with a wonderful cabbage rose on them found at the thrift store. They have no marking and no saucers but, they were so shabby and pretty I knew they would make a lovely tea.
Another thrift store find is this little silver shell probably meant for tea to serve jam or clotted creamI wrote a whole post about this piece and you can view this here. 
The silver coffee/teapot was also a thrift store find.  I wrote a whole post about that and you can view that here. 
I have enjoyed having you for tea and making Boxty.  I am joining Kathleen for her St. Patrick's Day blog crawl.  Join her at her site Cuisine Kathleen for all of the fun entries.  I will also be joining Lady Katherine at her site Lady Katherine's Tea Parlor for Tea Time Tuesday.
I will also link up to Sandi's Tea Time Tuesday  at her site Rose Chintz Cottage. I am also participating at Tea Party Tuesday  at Rose Colored Glasses.  I am also participating in Marty's Tabletop Tuesday at her site A Stroll Through Life.  And also I will join Diane for 2nd Time Around  at her site A Picture is Worth a 1,000 Words. Please join all the great sites and view all the fun bloggers are submitting.


36 comments:

Pat@Back Porch Musings said...

Beautiful post!

We love potato cakes! Your recipe is the same as mine.:-) I sometimes use leftover mashed potatoes.

Happy Saint Patrick's Day!

Debbie said...

Oh those strawberry shortcakes looks scrumptious!

Happy To Be/ Gl♥ria said...

What a beautiful tea you have sat out girl..Loved it thanks for sharing...Hugs and smiles Gl♥ria

Mimi said...

Very pretty breakfast setting...the sweet biscuits look yummy...cute shell dish. Happy St. Pat's Day!

Beth said...

Sherry, Love what looks to be transferware on your post and on your sidebar! The biscuits look great and your silver shell and silver tea service are to die for!!! Lucky you, to find them out thrifting!! Blessings, Beth

Kathryn @ Bonafide Southern said...

Those potato pancakes look great! I love your setting with mismatched china. I also have some American Limoges dishes, with a very similar pattern, and I love them. Thanks for sharing.

Mid-Atlantic Martha said...

Wow! You're joining all the parties today! Love your silver shell -- how lovely! So many pretty and dainty tea things on your post. Love thrifty finds.

marty (A Stroll Thru Life) said...

YOur tea service is stunning. I love the teapot and the cups are gorgeous. Your plate is such a beautiful find. The silver piece is so unique. I havn't seen one of those before. Such a lovely tea. Thanks so much for joining the party. Hugs, Marty

Rosie@Journey to Charm said...

The recipe sounds great. I'll have to try it. I love your Limoge. So pretty. And your silver pieces are gorgeous. They make it all look so elegant.

Shelia said...

What a lovely post! I love how your tea looks. Your vintage dishes are so pretty! Now I'm going to have to try your recipe for the potato cakes!
Thanks for sharing all of your wonderfulness.
Be a sweetie,
Shelia ;)

♥ Sonny ♥ said...

I'll be trying that boxty recipe for sure.
everything looks great.

Lenore said...

I'd love to join you for tea and scones....the boxty looks delicious too!

GardenofDaisies said...

The boxty looks yummy! (I love anything potato.)

Phyllis AROUND THE HOUSE said...

The breakfast looks tooo tasty, beautiful and and tasty, can't be beat, beautiful dishes..Phyllis

Miss Janice said...

The boxty looks like something I would love. I love tea and this would be great to serve. Love your Limoge and the china...very, very pretty!

Liz said...

Thanks for sharing that great recipe and the funny little poem. I have never heard that before. Your tea is just lovely!

~Liz

Lady Katherine said...

How lovely your Tea Setting is! Your China is just beautiful! The tea service is wonderful! Love the saying and the Boxty! I am in love with the silver shell! Yes, how wonderful to serve jam or clotted cream in! I just love it! Oh, and the strawberry short cake! Lovely instead of scones! Thank You so much for joining me for Tea Time Tuesday! I do adore the silver shell!

Foley said...

Had never heard of Boxty before !! They look and sound great though.
Love your tea cups..and all your pieces!

Sandi@ Rose Chintz Cottage said...

Good morning Sherry,
Your tea is wonderful! I have never heard of Boxty before although I have had potato pancakes; love them! Sweet biscuits look good too! Your teacups are sweet and I love your silver ware. I'm so happy you have joined me for Tea Time Tuesday and I hope you have a lovely day.

Blessings,
Sandi

Mrs. P. said...

What a beautiful tea...and thanks for sharing about Boxty. What a fun post!!

Blessings!
Gail

Lavender Cottage said...

Lovely tea you have served and a great blog.

Charli and me said...

Thank you so much for the recipe. It looks delicious! Your tea set is just lovely too. Happy Saint Patrick's Day!

Rhondi said...

Hi Sherry
Your china is so pretty, the biscuits look quite delicious. Thank you for inviting me for tea and joining the tea party.
Hugs, Rhondi

BGndr said...

Great post!

T's Daily Treasures said...

What a lovely table setting for tea! I love boxty. Thanks for sharing all these wonderful recipes. Many blessings, Tammy

Willow said...

I always serve these potatoes every Sunday. My family just loves them. Thanks for sharing your recipe.

Willow

SavoringTime in the Kitchen said...

Wonderful post and beautiful tea service.

JanMary said...

We call boxty "Potato bread" here in N Ireland, and usually buy it in farls - you can see some on my blog today.

Never made any myself!

Happy St Patrick's Day from Ireland :)

bj said...

Your post is just beautiful. Love all the tea things..:)
I,too, make these potato patties..grew up on them and make them a lot...using leftover mashed potatoes.
Enjoyed your lovely post.

Vicki said...

Hello, Sherry,
Seeing your potato pancakes bring back memories of my childhood. My mother cooked these often, and I always loved them. Thank you for the tea invitation. Your tea set, cups and plates are lovely. I hope you have a wonderful week filled with the promise of spring! Vicki

Terri said...

Oh those look delicious! I wonder if I could make those potato pancakes gluten free...I will have to try.
Your cabbage rose tea cups are so shabby sweet!
Thank you for sharing your tea with us.
Terri

Happy Cottage Quilter said...

Beautiful tea set. Everything is so lovely. Thanks for inviting me.

Jocelyn
http://justalittlesouthernhospitality.blogspot.com/

Blondie's Journal said...

I had heard of Boxty but wasn't sure what it was!! Thanks for the recipe! I will definitely try it!

I love your tea. The Limoges plate is gorgeous. I love the scalloped edge. Just beautiful. Everything!

Happy St. Paddy's Day! :-)

xoxo
Jane

MrsJenB said...

Oh, the boxty looks amazing! I love potato pancakes, I wish I wasn't the only one in my household who does! Thank you so much for the recipe, it looks easy and delicious.

Merrie said...

Ahhh, man! Now that I read your post I think mine is wrong. Now I've got to dig my Irish Country Cooking cookbook out of the dungeon and see what it is I always made...scones? Whatever it is, your boxty is what my mom simply calls potato cakes and its a good use for leftover potatoes!

Kathleen said...

Oh Sherry, I am late. I thought I left a comment here. I love your boxty, and those Irish lace hankies are so pretty! Yes, a lot of work and they were paid pennies!
Thank so much for joining in the party!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails