Thursday, January 14, 2010

Old-Fashioned Vegetable Soup

My Grandmother always made the most delicious homemade vegetable soup.  I never could quite replicate it and then one day I found this recipe in the St. Louis Post and it comes really close.  

Old-Fashioned Vegetable Soup

Ingredients:
1 1/2 lb. beef stew meat, cut into bite size chunks
1-2 TBSP oil
6 cups water
1 medium onion, chopped
1 cup peeled and cubed potatoes
1 cup peeled and sliced carrots
1 cup sliced celery
1 (16 oz.) can diced tomatoes
3 sprigs parsley, finely chopped
1 TSP salt (I prefer sea salt)
1/2 bay leaf, crumbled
1/4 TSP dried marjoram
1/4 TSP dried thyme
1/2 TSP chili powder
2 TSP Worcestershire sauce
2 cups tomato juice
Pepper, to taste
Brown all meat in hot oil in a large kettle.  Add water; simmer for 1 1/2-2 hours.  
Add remaining ingredients.  Simmer 30 minutes or until vegetables are tender. 
*Note- This soup gets better every time it is reheated.
Yields:  6-8 servings
(Recipe Source: Winner from Junior League of Indianapolis)

I am joining Michael at Designs by Gollum for Foodie Friday.  Please click on her link and go over to take a look at all the great recipes.  

4 comments:

vignette design said...

I am copying this one. Soup is so perfect right now! --Delores

Yvonne @ StoneGable said...

Veggie soup makes me think of my grandmother too. Your recipe looks delicious!
Yvonne

Mary Bergfeld said...

What a perfect soup for these blustery winter days. I hope you are having a wonderful Foodie Friday.

My Slice of Heaven said...

I just can't get enough good soup recipes and yours sounds delicious. Thank you for sharing!